Need Airplane to Holbox from Cozumel or Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have the link to the thread. But, I read somewhere that the powers that be ban diving because they feel the air bubbles from tanks will scare off the whale sharks. They just want to keep it low key. And only two people at a time from each boat get to go in the water to snorkel. You have to take turns to swim with the whale sharks. People get about 2-3 turns each to get in the water.
I have seen some some companys offer VIP trips i.e private trips that allow you to spend more time in the water with the whale sharks. I didn't check the prices, but I am sure it increases the cost astronomically.

Thanks for your reply and it answers the reason for my question. Seems reasonable I suppose and disturbing the wildlife anywhere is usually not a good idea. I had thought to try this along with a cenote dive side trip on the mainland but if that's the case this type of activity would not be my "kettle of fish". I drag a large camera housing around and enjoy photographing/videographing the scenery. Waiting for the right shot and snorkeling don't often coincide. Oh well....

The federal Government is tracking and monitoring the whaleshark tours closely. They are worried that if we disturb their waters, as we are guests, then they may not come back. For years there have been check points that all tour boats have to register with to have their boats checked. All persons have to wear either a wetsuit or life jacket to ensure that they are buoyant on the surface. the two peoplei n the water with a guide is regulation. The guides are trained by a federal agency and have to have proof of this. Finally, the boat captains are good at making sure that there are a limited amount of boats around the sites where the whalesharks have been GPSed so that they are not frightened.

It is wonderful that this is happening and each year there are more and more whalesharks. I have witnessed up to 40 in one location and you can not keep up eith them...they are the most beautiful and docile fish..a wonderful trip...

Diving is not necessary, if you are a good and fast sprint swimmer, you can actually catch the draft of a whaleshark and swim right up next to them....but it is hard work...energy well spent...

The federal Government is tracking and monitoring the whaleshark tours closely. They are worried that if we disturb their waters, as we are guests, then they may not come back. For years there have been check points that all tour boats have to register with to have their boats checked. All persons have to wear either a wetsuit or life jacket to ensure that they are buoyant on the surface. the two peoplei n the water with a guide is regulation. The guides are trained by a federal agency and have to have proof of this. Finally, the boat captains are good at making sure that there are a limited amount of boats around the sites where the whalesharks have been GPSed so that they are not frightened.

It is wonderful that this is happening and each year there are more and more whalesharks. I have witnessed up to 40 in one location and you can not keep up eith them...they are the most beautiful and docile fish..a wonderful trip...

Diving is not necessary, if you are a good and fast sprint swimmer, you can actually catch the draft of a whaleshark and swim right up next to them....but it is hard work...energy well spent...

Thanks - all good reasons for keeping things safe for the feeding grounds and for keeping the whale sharks coming back. It would be great to photograph the encounter but maybe I'll try this sometime without the camera.

I have seen some some companys offer VIP trips i.e private trips that allow you to spend more time in the water with the whale sharks. I didn't check the prices, but I am sure it increases the cost astronomically.
Yes...it does! You have to rent the whole boat. Whether there are two of you or 10 of you. If you have a group it would be a good thing...

Alohagal,

I just looked at the Mayan site and it sounds good to me. I'm getting more and more excited as each day brings us closer to our vacation. I figure this in one of those once in a lifetime oppertunities so everybody is invited (that means all family members are going).

I'm sending MAD an email to check their availability for tours and see what their prediction is for shark numbers during our dates in Coz. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Thanks,
Scotty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom