Need an uw camera "expert"...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bought one of those springy things for my point and shoot. I'm going to have to play around with where I wear it. I hold the camera with my right hand so I can put my left hand in the sand if necessary to steady myself in the current. Only thing is, my octo is on my right (like most recreational divers) and I don't want the camera in its way.

I recommend reading the manual for your camera. Also, Canon created a webpage with links to various tutorials on shooting tips and how to prepare/care for your underwater housing. It's worth a look.

Canon's Underwater Mode is a shooting mode that tweaks the white balance to compensate for the loss of red color at depth. If you think about it, the Underwater Mode pre-set will only have a certain range of depths for which it will work OK. However, at depths shallower than the usable range, it's going to overshoot on the compensation, making the reds too "bright" (overexposed). At depths deeper than the usable range, it's going to undershoot. It's up to you whether or not you want to use Underwater Mode. I never use it personally. For still photography macro subjects, I use the internal flash or an external strobe with the white balance set to Auto. For still photography wide angle-style shots without an external strobe, I turn off the internal flash and simply do the white balancing in post-processing. Years ago for video clips, I always did Custom white balance (using some white duct tape or a wrist slate) for my depth just prior to recording. I felt compelled to do this because my video editing program of choice (iMovie) at the time didn't have any free, built-in tools for adjusting white balance. At some point in the last few years, iMovie acquired a convenient white balancing tool, so now I just hold up a wrist slate at the beginning of the clip and do my white balancing for video in post. Very convenient.

Yes, the SD1300IS has several different white balance pre-sets: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom. If you really wanted to, you could certainly employ a Custom white balance setting for a given depth. Unfortunately, you'd have to recalibrate the Custom white balance setting when the colors change, i.e., you change depth. Depending on your image editor of choice, it might just be easier to white balance your photos in post.

According to the on line manual YES

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300003266/01/PSSD1300IS_IXUS105IS_CUG_EN.pdf

Page 71

All of the user friendly mode settings are based on an average set of conditions (scene, underwater, sport etc) and for those not willing to learn the specifics needed for particular shooting conditions they will produce better results than AUTO or PROGRAM mode, but the aren't as good as what can be done by someone who knows the correct way to set the same camera for a specific situation. That said not all P & S cameras let the user pick the right settings because the manufacturer designed the body for those just trying to get a photo using the point & click route. Cameras that don't have a Tv (time value OR shutter speed) & Av (aperture or size of the lens opening) mode are aimed at those people. Cameras with Tv, Av, & M mode are for those who want some say in how a photo is captured.

This may or may not be of interest but I wrote it for my fellow Tripadvisor members some time ago & tried to keep it simple. If you read it & have specific questions that it doesn't address ask & I'm sure some of us will try our best to answer.

Understanding your digital camera, the basics. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

OK, I'm back with improved understanding from some reading and now I have a follow up question:

I went to an LDS to look at slates so I can set the white balance at depths where the underwater mode doesn't seem to be compensating for the light well enough. (as Bubble described) The writing slates looked like they'd be reasonable to carry, but are not a nice warm white. The other thing that occurs to me is with my very basic set up with no strobe, is setting the WB at depth worthwhile? In other words should I wait until I decide to get a strobe before I spend time playing with white balance? Do I need one to support the other?

Because I use RAW I've never done a White Balance adjustment while diving so I Googled it & found this. (You don't need to do it with strobes because they are designed to generate the correct color temperature of flash).

Underwater White Balance

If I were going to do it I'd try to find something plastic that was as close to a true white as possible but something close will work well. In our area they sell Margarine in plastic tubs that have lids that are close enough to use for this so just keep an open eye for things in your daily routine.

When I learned how to do my own color printing in my darkroom my instructor taught me that "when the white is right the rest is right" and as far as I know that's still true even though we aren't shooting film.

OK, I'm back with improved understanding from some reading and now I have a follow up question:

I went to an LDS to look at slates so I can set the white balance at depths where the underwater mode doesn't seem to be compensating for the light well enough. (as Bubble described) The writing slates looked like they'd be reasonable to carry, but are not a nice warm white. The other thing that occurs to me is with my very basic set up with no strobe, is setting the WB at depth worthwhile? In other words should I wait until I decide to get a strobe before I spend time playing with white balance? Do I need one to support the other?

We do it with a canon 850 in a box and it helps. Course I make it up as I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom