Need an uw camera "expert"...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hate to ask here...but since you're my "gang" and I'm not getting a lot of help from the photography forum, anyone here willing to let me pm you with a few questions about purchasing my first UW camera?

Thanks!

pm me, i'll help as much as i can

Same here!!

Don't? :no:

To me - unless you are a good above water photog - you wont be a good under water photographer. Plus unless you are going to spend a LOT of money, you will have a hard time getting good pics. Plus.....unless you are experienced at shooting in current (as I assume this relates to taking said camera to Cozumel?), you will have a hell of a time shooting anything as you go by in the current. Trying to stop to set up pics causes you to grab stuff, slow down the group, seperate the group, split the group, and generally piss off the rest of the group.

Novice photographer + low end camera + current = bad pics and irritating the rest of the group IMHO. :)

I say this, as on my July trip to cozumel, I had said n00b photographer (x2!) on most of my dives. On the 2nd or 3rd day, they busted out a pelican case and said "hey lets try our cameras!" and went about assembling a pair of decently sub par set ups, with not enough flash, and NO clue as to how to use said cameras above, or below ground. Suffice it to say: they constantly stopped (or tried to) in the current, grabbed stuff, slowed us down, stretched us out, got seperated etc etc etc. Add ot it, 95+% of their pics were horrid.....yet they kept at it day after day. By my last day I was tempted to find a dive knife and cut the camera tethers and send them to davey jones camera locker!!!!

I have dove with good experienced photogs, and the difference is night and day, especially the guys who are good in current - but if you are new to it, Cozumel is not the best place to learn. Plus for the money you would spend on GOOD gear, you would be much better off buying a GoPro vid camera, mount a decent LED light to it with a home made handle system = WIN for making memories of your dives. Much easier to accomplish and get GREAT results.

/end soap box on my biggest Coz pet peeve! :crafty:

With 200 + dives listed I'd hope they are a decent diver so I expect they could handle the extra task of underwater photography. However rather than do a PM based discussion I'd prefer you ask your questions on the forum where several members can offer their opinions both pro or con. Until then my biggest recommendations are to choose a Point & Shoot that can shoot in RAW and learn how to process RAW files for the best white balance. Underwater photography has little in common with land based photography other than the rules of getting a good exposure that's in focus. I shoot a lot of action on land but in the water I'm just someone taking snapshots, but I do get them looking nice after processing.

Most people are OK with not getting high-quality photos using their first UW camera setup. The neat thing about it is: you took the photo. You do the best you can and make small improvements over time. Many get a great sense of satisfaction by simply taking on the challenges of UW photography. Nevertheless, I do agree that, if you lack the patience for topside photography, you'll probably find the additional challenges of UW photography frustrating.

Most of the Canon camera + OEM waterproof housing setups are fairly affordable, small, travel-friendly, easy-to-use, and produce excellent photos. If you're planning on taking this route, make sure that an OEM housing exists for the camera you intend to buy. Consider purchasing both the camera and the housing at the same time.

While I have to agree with Brule's point of making sure you are good above water, there are several lower costing setups that will give you the taste of UW photo, with decent pics. When you are comfortable with that, you will know what you want and will be ready to move up into a higher end. Canon, Olympus, some good setups without costing too much. As Bubbletrubble says, consider buying camera and housing at the same time. And, as Brules points out, PLEASE make sure you are comfortable with the camera above water, and have grasped solid photography skills and camera operation..re, which buttons do what.
I remember a few years ago in Coz, we waited on the boat for a late person for almost 1/2 hour. Finally that person shows up with some bags. On the way to the dive site, she opens the bags, takes out camera, housing, strobe, all new. She then hands it all to the DM and demands that he assembles it for her. He hands it back and says no. She gets it together, then promptly does just what Brules enjoyed with his new photo buddy divers. Then, she begins to find a photo subject, and try to hand the camera to the DM as she realized she wasnt familiar with the settings and operation....he refused. THEN, after getting back into the boat, she realizes she has lost the camera setup and demands the DMs find it for her. They are both in the water snorkling looking down, in what...50 fsw....and I look over and there floats her slightly positive bouyant camera setup. If floats to the side of the boat, camera retrieved. There was a certain sense of relief when we finished the dives and returned her to the dock. She didnt dive with us the next day.....
So..moral of the story....practice with your camera until you are proficient with the settings. Practice with it in the housing. Then you will be ready. Price doesnt have to mean you wont take satisfactory shots. Good luck! And post some when you get done taking them!
PS...im definately not an expert, just a novice ready to jump up a step in camera gear....

Last edited:
So..moral of the story....practice with your camera until you are proficient with the settings. Practice with it in the housing. ..

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. You can't take the manual down with you so know it off by memory or at least enough of what effects how you intend to use ANY camera. When I shot film I took hundreds of photos with no film in the camera while learning controls. At least digital lets you see what a change in settings does without wasting film & waiting to process it.

To me - unless you are a good above water photog - you wont be a good under water photographer.

Hmm, that might explain my difficulties...

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. You can't take the manual down with you so know it off by memory or at least enough of what effects how you intend to use ANY camera.

I missed half a dive floating along trying to find "underwater" mode..... But come on, read the manual? Really? That seems excessive...... (And I ain't stopping for directions either....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom