Need Dive Op Recommendation for Day of Cenotes Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucidblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed back to Cozumel in July and staying at SCC. I haven't had a chance on previous trips to go to Playa and dive the Cenotes. Can anyone recommend a good dive op that will pick up at the ferry? I'm probably looking to do 2 tanks.

You could consider contacting Diablo Divers . . . Dennis Weeks, the owner, is a lovely man and a very good guide. And his partner, Natalie, is absolutely irresistible -- about 4'11" and cute, but she can stand up from the ground in a set of doubles! They're really nice people, very safety conscious, and truly love the caves.

Another good option, especially if you are staying in Coz, is German Yanez. Also a lovely, gracious man, he is also a very experienced cave explorer, and an authority on the endemic species of the caves on Cozumel itself.

If you were going later in the year, I would recommend my very good friend Jason Renoux -- Jason's a delight, a beautiful diver and just a joyful person with whom to spend a day. But Jason's in Malta this summer.

I did a cenote dive with Dennis when he first started out, and had a great time. Friendly amd personable. I'll be visiting Akumal at the end of July, and may just try to hook up for another cenote dive.

I'm headed back to Cozumel in July and staying at SCC. I haven't had a chance on previous trips to go to Playa and dive the Cenotes. Can anyone recommend a good dive op that will pick up at the ferry? I'm probably looking to do 2 tanks.

I just returned form PDC and was cave diving there (I posted the Cenotes trip report) , but there are some lovely Centoes dives if you are not a cave diver. Car Wash was interesting above & below the water.

Etienne Rousseau www.closedsystemdiving.com He's a wonderful guide for cave diving. He's from Quebec. His girlfriend Karin Pointer from Austria is also good for recreational Cenotes diving and can provide you with a video. bluemotionvideo.com

I met Natalie last November but I believe she's out of commission now due to a crushed ankle.

I particularly love the Playa area since it is a short ride south to the best cenotes between Playa and Tulum. Please be cautioned that it is not legal for a guide to take you in his car without proper permitting. An annoying Mexican law, but it can cost your guide a lot of unnecessary headache and a huge fine. Check with the guides themselves about pick up capabilities from a Ferry. Car rental places in Playa abound. I rented via Alamo which was a short walk from my hotel in PDC. It s not that difficult to drive in Mexico - kind of similar to driving in the side roads of Boston except with more bikes and scooters on the major roads. Taxis are the scariest drivers & the giant Kulkulkan tour buses were the most aggressive. I let them pass me. Highway was just finished a few weeks ago and makes the ride a short one between Cancun & Tulum relatively speaking.

Natalie is no longer out of commission! In fact, she's back to full swing. I couldn't even get a dive in with her when we were just there, because she was working every day. She just got her Intro to Cave Instructor rating, too.

I contacted Dennis yesterday about using his services again on late July. He said he wasn't available but Natalie could do it. So I'll hopefully have her as my guide.

Thanks for the recommendations! I will check out these ops, hopefully one of them can fit us in.

I would also put in another +1 for GeoFish and Tomas'. If you decide to utilize them, have Tomas' stop for tacos, you won't be disappointed and the history and education you will receive on each Cenote is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom