Need explanation on antiengraving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMN

Reaction score
Excerpt from Scubapro Care & Maintenance:

"For storage, use the antiengraving system.
-For balanced Adjustable second stage, insert the storage key through the insignia plate and turn it 90°. (For use: first turn 90°, then pull it)."

Can somebody please explain where the insignia plate is, and how to insert the storage key thru it? Thanks.

TMN once bubbled...
Excerpt from Scubapro Care & Maintenance:

"For storage, use the antiengraving system.
-For balanced Adjustable second stage, insert the storage key through the insignia plate and turn it 90°. (For use: first turn 90°, then pull it)."

Can somebody please explain where the insignia plate is, and how to insert the storage key thru it? Thanks.

Just a guess on my part. The insignia plate is probably the area with the "S" on it. I am assuming the storage key somehow takes pressure off of the seat so as not to leave an indention on it during long periods of non-use.

The key would need to be removed prior to use or the reg is likely to free flow.

Hope this is of some help.

But if there is the "S" insignia on the purge mechanism, That should be the place the key fits. When inserted, it should depress the purge slightly, relieving pressure on the LP seat.

to what 2nd stage model does this apply ?

either i accidentally chucked the storage key away or i never got it with my S550.

that's exclusive.

If I remember correctly the SP600 also has this feature.

Pretty good guesses. The metal second stages had rubber cover with metal plate (S) over the diaphragm. Scubapro came up with the idea of making a plastic 'key' which is fitted into the plate and presses against the diaphragm. You have to turn it to make it stay in place.

For $1,442.00, it ought to work without being attached to a tank. The LP seat on my $400.00 Mk20/G500 is 4 years old and still working fine. Looks like new materials and a little pressure relief (inherent to the balanced barrel poppet design) will extend LP seat life well beyond the recommended service interval.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
That "flaw" exists in every regulator except Atomic Aquatics regulators. From their webpage:

Seat saving orifice: Exclusive Atomic feature prolongs the second stage seat life indefinitely, eliminating aggravating leaks and degradations in performance.

Atomic Aquatics description

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom