Need Feedback on DX1200HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverjim3483

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am seeking feedback on the DX1200HD camera and housing. Or is it so new, no one has much experience with it yet?

I'm curious also to learn the differences between the DX1200HD and the DX-1g or new DX-2g (I know its not out yet) and why I would choose one over the other. Having movie capability in the 1200HD is a very nice feature to have.

Anybody??

Diverjim3483

Hi Jim-
The DX-1200HD camera is a full-featured digital compact offering HD quality video along with 12MP stills at at 600.00 price point. The DX-1G/2G cameras are more robust, offer 10MP and 12MP resolutions, higher image quality, better macro capabilities and the ability to shoot RAW, Manual, std video and other SLR like modes. The 1G/2G are priced a bit higher at 800+ and 1000+. So, truly it is a compromise between budget and features. The initial feedback on the DX-1200HD has been quite good and we are expecting it to continue. The DX-1G has been a very good performer as well and we expect the 2G to be the same.

Sea and Sea,

Will the new 2G have HD video resolution? Will it be able to handle the 8Gig or greater high speed memory cards?

Hi Jim-
The DX-1200HD camera is a full-featured digital compact offering HD quality video along with 12MP stills at at 600.00 price point. The DX-1G/2G cameras are more robust, offer 10MP and 12MP resolutions, higher image quality, better macro capabilities and the ability to shoot RAW, Manual, std video and other SLR like modes. The 1G/2G are priced a bit higher at 800+ and 1000+. So, truly it is a compromise between budget and features. The initial feedback on the DX-1200HD has been quite good and we are expecting it to continue. The DX-1G has been a very good performer as well and we expect the 2G to be the same.

Hi Jim-
The DX-2G specs are listed in the 2009 catalog on pages 5 and 33, you can download it HERE.
The 2G will accomodate up to a 16GB SDHC memory card and will shoot video quality of 640x480, 30 fps at max.

Was any thought given to putting the 3" LCD monitor from the 1200HD on the DX-2G? My old eyes would have liked that.

HI Mike,
The 2G has an increased 2.7" LCD in comparison to the 1G's. Also, the LCD pixels have been dramatically increased for finer detail and resolution. Unfortunately, the body/case design would not allow for a 3" LCD on the 2G.

HI Mike,
The 2G has an increased 2.7" LCD in comparison to the 1G's. Also, the LCD pixels have been dramatically increased for finer detail and resolution. Unfortunately, the body/case design would not allow for a 3" LCD on the 2G.

I did see the resolution was higher. I can't wait to see them when they come out. I just flooded my old camera and am looking to step up a bit.

I just dove for the first time with my new dx-1200. I am so disappointed. The fiber optic cord that slaves the strobe to the camera blocks the focusing light. Every single Macro shot I took was out of focus. I am considering selling it and buying a digital SLR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom