Need First Regulator Advice!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChappyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since my certification I've absolutely fell in love with diving! I'm currently pursuing advanced diver certification, so I'm looking to invest in a solid reg that will breathe easy up to about 130' but won't break the bank. From what I've read it seems the Aqualung Titan LX makes the most sense for me (I rented the Legend and loved it, but have been told the Titan LX is nearly identical and more economical) but I've still got a few questions:

I live in Boston, and plan to dive all around the New England area, especially Cape Cod where the water temp is generally between 50-70oF during the warmer months. Do I need an environmentally sealed 1st stage for this, or is that only truly necessary for much colder temps? I also have family in South FL (where I've done most of my diving so far) so I'll certainly be diving a lot in warmer waters too.

I plan to do a lot of international diving trips in the next year or so. I've heard a lot of great things about Zeagle, but am somewhat concerned that they're a small company based exclusively in the US. How much do I really need to worry about having my reg serviced while abroad?

Also, my cousin (who is also a novice diver) recommended the Sea Elite Tek X06 but I have had some trouble finding substantial reviews on this reg, anyone have advice on the reputation of the company?

Finally, I have received conflicting advice on buying regs used through ebay, or online for discounted prices because of warranty issues. What's the real deal? Is Leisurepro really not smart, or is it a good value?

Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated!!

I agree, stay with Scubapro or Aqualung as you can find a dealer almost anywhere. More importantly noth companies have a history of supporting discontinued models for decades.

Lots of people have their favorite brands, but most of those companies either will not be around in 10 years or will not be supporting the regs they sell this year in 10 years. This is particularly true with smaller brands that do not either have their own manufacturing capacity or contract for production of their own designs. If they license someone else's design and sell it as a rebranded product, support tends to evaporate when the license expires or the manufacturing agreement changes.

In 50-70 degree water a cold water reg is not really required. Below 50 degrees is where it gets problematic.

I like the Legend and the information you received on the Titan is correct in that you will notice no difference in performance at the second stage. The Titan is basically an updated Conshelf, which in turn was a single hose development of the double hose Royal Aquamaster, so it's history goes back a long way.

I'll second the Mk 17 suggestion as well. It is an excellent performing regulator derived from the earlier Mk 16 with the addition of an improved seat alignment system and a fully sealed ambient chamber. In my opinion it is the best diaphragm first stage currently available.

will do jus' fine in the temps you've outlined and if you Are worried about cold just upgrade that Titan one more time to a Titan LX Supreme and tada! enviromentally sealed first stage cold water reg that you can get With octo for Easily under $400 vs the roughly $600 cost of the Legend without an octo.

I've got a Titan LX Supreme, I've had it on 21 dives so far and as cold as 49 degrees (or was it 47?) and it breathes great. I dont forsee having any regrets about my initial reg choice down the road... (its what I'm gonna buy Next thats got me distracted)

DA makes some very good points (and knows regs)
A good, solid, reg will last a lifetime of diving, years later support is important

I have a decent Titan LX I may want to sell :D I don't understand the whole warranty thing though. I mean someone, somewhere bought this reg, possibly from a dealer, before I did. So it should be covered by warranty just by checking the serial number. But you'll find the dive busines is screwed up. If you don't by "new" from many shops they'll whack you with the cost of the service kits. Come to think of it though I converted this reg to DIN so you would most likely not want it anyway. It's worked great for me but the reg did freeze up once this year at Dutch Springs in 41 degree water :eyebrow: But you would expect it to, that was cold! I do have the parts to switch it back to yoke but I marked up the nut trying to get it off. I recently rebuilt the 2nd stage but can't get parts for the 1st and that's surely due for a rebuild sometime soon. If you do have any interest PM me and we could talk about it. I'd like to sell the 1st and 2nd stage for $150.00 if I could get it to offset the $75.00 DIN conversion I did to it. New goes for about $300.00 or so.

I guess I'll be the contrarian here. I personally feel Zeagle is the best diaphram reg and Atomic the best piston reg on the market. I own a Flathead VI and a T2. I'm a factory certified tech for both manufacturers as well as others, and have serviced many other brands as well. I'm not a Scuba Pro fan. Too many models and parts kits, and Scubapro probably holds the record for regulator recalls. I've seen and had to fix several Scuapro regs that were serviced by certified Scubapro techs that used the wrong parts kit. It can be confusing. You really have to look closely at Scubapro's technical drawings to determine the correct parts and special servicing instructions.

If you have your reg serviced regularly by a factory certified tech as directed by the manufacturer and have it bench tested before a trip, I would not worry about having a problem while out of the country. You should carry a Save-A-Dive kit no matter where you go. Most things that break on a trip are the hose and tank o rings and fin and mask straps. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to see a well maintained reg malfunction on a dive. The ones I have seen malfunction were on my test bench, and had already been serviced by someone that probably did not know a 1st stage from a 2nd stage.

A sealed reg is more costly, but generally less problematic at all times simply because the sea water is kept out and internal corrosion is limited. Below 50 degrees, I'd have a sealed unit. But I'm spoiled so you will not find me in water less than 80 degrees. lol

Sherwood and US Diver/Aqua Lung are workhorse regs. They are good and reliable, but nothing fancy. I don't like the Sherwood positive flow 1st stage design. A continuous flow of bubbles on a dive makes other divers, not familiar with the design, stop to tell you your reg has a problem when it doesn't.

I do not sell equipment or work at a dive shop, so I have no interest in saying that I would not purchase a reg from eBay, Leisure Pro, or any other non authorized retailer. You need to built a relationship with a trusted dive professional that will be maintaining your equipment. That starts by purchasing equipment from a local shop. You can always negotiate a better price by being a return customer and purchasing dive equipment packages (ie reg and computer, BCD and wetsuit, etc.)

Safe diving,
Joe

Either the Aqua Lung or Zeagle will more than meet your needs. You can't go wrong with an environmentally sealed unit - you'd be set for almost any condition. Worldwide dealership leans towards the Aqua Lung, although Zeagle shouldn't be any problem.
If you are going to buy online, make sure you buy only from an authorized dealer. Gray market can have better prices, BUT you will have to either send it back to them for servicing or pay full price at an authorized dealer. Some authorized dealers may even refuse to service a gray market product. My best suggestion is to shop your LDS first - you know them and they know you.
Best Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

Lots of good advice here...but I don't think the "buy this brand" or "buy that brand" suggestions have any merit.

We could argue for years about who builds the "best breathing" and "most reliable" regulator. I personally swear by Oceanic and have never had a problem with any of my regs in the 10 years I have used them. The shop where I got certified is a Scubapro and Oceanic dealer and they say they are the best regs out there. Other friends of mine swear by Atomic...or Aqualung...or Sherwood...or one of a dozen other brands on the market place.

So here you have a bunch of knowledgeable divers who all swear by different brands. And you know what? We're all correct.

Bottom line is that all brands are going to be statistically equivalent in terms of performance and reliability for a recreational diver. None of the "big guys" build a bad reg these days.

As far as serviceability is concerned, when I bought my first regulator I shopped around for Scubapro and Oceanic because those 2 brands, while pushed by my own LDS, were also the most common outside the USA. I travel extensively, and everywhere it seems I can find an Oceanic or Scubapro dealer. Aqualing was another brand I found...but not nearly as extensively as Oceanic or Scubapro.

But in the 10 years I have been diving, I have never had an equipment failure that had to be serviced in the field. So my worry about buying a brand with a large international presence so far has gone unrealized. It's a nice safety net, but one that might be a bit over-hyped.

So my recommendation for you is not necessarily which brand to buy...but what type to buy and what fits your budget. Do you want to drop $1000 on a reg? $500? $300? Each price point offers different features, some of which you might never use. Do you dive in cold or silty waters? If so, then a sealed diaphram reg is probably best. Do you only dive in the warm Carribbean? Then sealed diaphram or piston is good.

Another option is to buy a used reg. I have purchased 2 used Oceanics and they have been 100% fine. This is a great way to save a LOT of money. Just make sure that you get the setup checked by your dive shop before taking it out.

A really good resource is Scuba Diving's regulator tests. They put the regs on a breathing machine that is FAR more sensitive and you and I...and rate them out. They also did a test on regulator reliability back in 2006 and they found that all brands performed quite well...and those with titanium first stages holding up the best.

Lastly...some brands are offering some really good deals that might help sway your decision. For example -- Aeris is offering a special on the Ion (which got top ratings in the recent Scuba Diving reg tests) where you get the octo for free. I found a shop that was willing to sell the Ion for $450 (incuding free octo), which is a smoking deal because it would usually cost upwards of $650 at full retail. Now that's worth checking into.

Anyway, I am just a passionate diver with a lot of friends in the retail end of the diving community, so I am not related to any brand or shop whatsoever.

Good luck with your decision.

Thx...Doug

Buy what can be serviced locally. Aqualung is great and so is Zeagle. I wouldn't get rid of my Zeagle or wifes. However, most people will say the samething about what they use. THere's high end brands that provide equipment for the hardcore, and then there are the recreational ones. All will be good for you typical day if diving above 132 feet, above 60 degrees. Zeagle makes the regs used by the US Navy Seals so you can pay an arm and leg for it or you can get their entry level Envoy which will do everything with no noticeable difference within recreational limits.

Leisurepro isn't bad. They are becoming authorized for a lot of their stuff so their prices are not that much better any more. I would avoid Ebay because you don't know what you are getting or the condition of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom