Need help installing Air II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmcsurf

Reaction score
Is there a trick to intalling the Air II? I'm trying to figure out how to keep the cord inside the BC inflater that dumps air by pulling on hose. There is a small wire that runs down the tube and I can't figure how to attach the Air II and keep that pull function. Do i need to buy a new wire to run to the dump valve down to the reg? Is this something only a LDS can do? Looked simple but the wire doesn't seem to have a way "undoing."

Anyone ever put one of these on?

Thanks for any input.

Step 1. Place AIR2 back into package.

Step 2. Take back to LDS.

Step 3. Get refund.

Step 4. Purchase short length of surgical tubing or shock cord.

Step 5. Attach as necklace to backup reg.

Step 6. Place around neck and go diving.

Step 7. Take money saved and buy your significant other a nice present.

I've had an Air II for a couple years now and it is a tough piece of equipment to keep clean and functioning. If you are dead set on keeping it take the pin at the base of the Air II out of one side with a small punch. Run the pin through the cable and re-install in the hole on the other side. Secure inflator hose with zip tie. If the cable is hooked on the pin and it still won't deflate when you pull the hose the cable is too long but it should work if it worked with your old power inflator.

Dave

PM me if you still have trouble.

We always include installation in the purchase price of the Air2 at our shop. I'd expect yours does too. If you got it third hand, then I'd still take it to the shop for a check and assembly. They have th correct tools.
Rick

The pin that the loop of wire goes though on the inflator pushes out to the the side so you can take the loop off of it. There should be another pin on the Air II that you can push out and slip the loop over and push back in place.

When the inflator is installed in the hose, the hose keeps the pin from slipping out to the side

Last piece of advice: Follow detroit diver's advice.

Roak

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Ummm............................................your an idiot.

Sorry Detroit, that was a bit harsh....:bonk:

My point is, the reason DIR is getting a hard time, is because of the "hard line" and "arrogant" approach.
Why not just offer a little subtle advice rather than outright tell the guy he just got ripped off, and is a fool?

What if he only ever dives in 20 feet of tropical water?
Air II aint so bad in those type of situations.

Yes they have issues, but lets educate rather than just say....."Take it back"

:box:

First of all, apology accepted.

Secondly, I never told the guy/gal to dive DIR or mentioned DIR. I honestly believe that the AIR2 and it's derivatives is/are a piece of crap. It imposes way to many problems for what it tries to solve. The bungee necklace solves all of the problems, and it doesnt matter whether you're in 20 feet of water, or 200 feet of water.

I would tell my best friend the same thing I told PMCSurf. Maybe my delivery was poor, but my message was sincere.

detroit diver is right, AIRII's are garbage and in an emergency they are a pain in the @ss you really dont want to be dealing with. They are in the same category as spare deaths's :D

Comments calling the Air2 "garbage" and "crap" are not only unhelpful and not answering the question, they are inaccurate and unwarranted. The device works. It works well at all recreational depths. It provides gas reliably and in plenty for an air sharing ascent, just as advertised. I deal with these things in classes all the time, and I've yet to see anyone have any significant problem with one. I've been diving and using both the Air2 and the Air Source since their introduction. As an instructor I make many sharing air ascents with them on a routine basis, and they work just fine. Every time.
If any of you need training to learn how to make one work properly, I'm sure your local LDS will be happy to accomodate you. If you don't like the integrated safe second/power inflator, say so. That's your right and your choice - but to say or imply it's unable to do its job is just simply not the truth.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom