Need help newbe regulator choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snook1e, well, yesterday I was all set to "pull the trigger". Today, after a brief convo with my LDS owner I am back to square 1. He hates that particular model. He actually said, for someone "my age" (the nerve) I need a better regulator.
He has been pushing the aqualung all along with the the Titan LX being his top pick.
I may just pop in tonight and get this regulator. BUT... there are at least 10 hours for me to have 3 or 4 more revelations by than.

Snook1e, well, yesterday I was all set to "pull the trigger". Today, after a brief convo with my LDS owner I am back to square 1. He hates that particular model. He actually said, for someone "my age" (the nerve) I need a better regulator.
He has been pushing the aqualung all along with the the Titan LX being his top pick.
I may just pop in tonight and get this regulator. BUT... there are at least 10 hours for me to have 3 or 4 more revelations by than.

Skipper, you're over-intellectualizing this. You're buying regulators, not picking a bride. It isn't that complicated, there are lots of excellent regulators out there, and you won't go wrong if buying any mid-range or better reg. Go on a dive boat and you'll see 6 other divers, all with different regs, and all satisfied whith their decision.

There are some specific feature considerations, like sealed units for cold water diving, but if the reg has the features you want or need you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between brand x or y.

Regarding service, I own an older scubapro model, and over the last 10 years, have had it serviced by two local shops. Each has lost my service business, one for poor quality control, the second because they were never ready when promised. For the last 5 years, I had them serviced by mail order with a firm in North Carolina. I get excellent work, great communication if there's a problem, and the total turn around time is less than with my LDS. Total cost including shipping is about the same, or marginally less. My point is that it's great if you can get good service locally, but having to mail regs for service isn't a problem.

The DVT on newer Oceanics and Aerises can make an odd noise when you breathe on them. I've attributed it to the mechanics of the DVT's spring-loaded plug.

:idk:For what its worth I own 2 oceanic CDX5 DVT 1st stages with a GT3 reg I don't hear any squeaking as described in the online review, or any other sound for that matter.

This was a concern of mine when I purchased after reading this very review on DiverNet.com

They sound like any other reg I've trained with/rented.

Total cost including shipping is about the same, or marginally less. My point is that it's great if you can get good service locally, but having to mail regs for service isn't a problem.

I'm with Don. The guy at the dive store close to me is the instructor, the travel agent, the salesman, floorsweeper, tank filler, and equipment repairman. The last item I took there for service had no action after a month, because he is also the tour guide and was three weeks in Belize. Good for him.

For a couple of years, I have been sending stuff to places that have one or more full-time service techs. They may be more skilled at it, as they do it all the time. The price is the same, and that includes shipping.

If I could get good, timely local service I would be delighted. Until I find it, I'm with Don.

Skip, don't give up on that sherwood yet. they can be serviced almost anywhere in or out of the country. and for what you pay a better reg is hard to find.
my 2psi

This really all depends on what kind of service you have nearby.

Yes both fine regulators, buy the one with the best support in your area.

They're both fine. Get the brand that's sold by a successful shop with a clean, professional service department, staffed by people you like, that's near where you live.

Skipper, you're over-intellectualizing this. You're buying regulators, not picking a bride.<snip> My point is that it's great if you can get good service locally, but having to mail regs for service isn't a problem.

It is way harder to find a bad regulator than a good one. Scuba Regulators are not complicated or particularly hard to build or maintain.

Get one that makes your heart go pitter patter and your bank account not scream out in pain.

I like my ScubaPro MK17 and S555. But I also have like and have used Atomics, Auqualung and Apeks. All good, not a dud in any of them.

Skipper
I like the fact that Oceanic can be servived by more shops than Scuba pro.
All the dealers in my area will service the Oceanic even the scuba pro dealer.
Good Luck

If I were to ignore the service issue, I'd own a Mares Abyss. Not sure why, but this regulator really excites me, but here agian, my LDS owner really hates Mares (well, I do know why, but what I dont know is the other side of the stories)

If I were to ignore the service issue, I'd own a Mares Abyss. Not sure why, but this regulator really excites me, but here agian, my LDS owner really hates Mares (well, I do know why, but what I dont know is the other side of the stories)

oddly enough, I know a scuba shop that sells scubapro/aqualung/Mares and all the instructors dive the Mares Abyss...that says at least you are not alone.

I have a Zeagle flathead, scubapro MK25/250v, Apex TX200 and an aqualung Kronos.

My favorite is the Apex.. followed closely by the scubapro, then Kronos and finally the Zeagle...but all are nice.

However, I am looking to buy a Posiedon deep, and one of the Atomic regs...so you could just consider this a journey, and this but the first step.

Back
Top Bottom