Need help, pretty new Cobalt is frozen or won't charge even off AC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

griffon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, How can I get some direct support for a very new (still under warranty) cobalt, less then 15 dives? Mine ran down, or won't wake up or is locked can't tell what the issue is because it won't respond and won't charge by AC, or USB. I even borrowed a known good AC charger and double sided adapter from a local dive shop but still won't come back to life. Leaving for Coz in two weeks. I sent a email via your web form but no reply in 48 hours... ack help please! There has got be better solution then shipping it off for weeks and weeks which is all my LDS could offer.

PM RonR on here...this seems to happen a lot when people run it down to zero then try the USB charger first. No reset pulse from the USB charger and no zero charge to prompt a reset pulse from the AC charger. Basically, you just need to open the battery compartment, unplug the battery long enough for it to reset, and then put it back together and slap it on the AC charger not the USB.

Even if you need to ship it off, there's no need to bother with your LDS. Call AA and they'll sort you out fast if necessary.

Hi, How can I get some direct support for a very new (still under warranty) cobalt, less then 15 dives? Mine ran down, or won't wake up or is locked can't tell what the issue is because it won't respond and won't charge by AC, or USB. I even borrowed a known good AC charger and double sided adapter from a local dive shop but still won't come back to life. Leaving for Coz in two weeks. I sent a email via your web form but no reply in 48 hours... ack help please! There has got be better solution then shipping it off for weeks and weeks which is all my LDS could offer.
Did you get this sorted out? I missed this message until today.

Dr. Lecter is exactly right. I don't know if the battery is dead, but if it ran down completely then the A/C charger must be used initially. Charging from USB won't give the Cobalt a reset to start the program- it will charge the battery, though, so subsequently using the A/C charger won't do the trick either. You can force the Cobalt to reboot by unplugging and re-plugging the battery, PM me if you need instructions for this- it's quite easy. This is, as you can imagine, a very busy time of year for Atomic- but they are very good at getting things done for trips when needed. It shouldn't be necessary to send it out, though, if it's just a matter of resetting.

Ron

Did you get this sorted out? I missed this message until today.

Dr. Lecter is exactly right. I don't know if the battery is dead, but if it ran down completely then the A/C charger must be used initially. Charging from USB won't give the Cobalt a reset to start the program- it will charge the battery, though, so subsequently using the A/C charger won't do the trick either. You can force the Cobalt to reboot by unplugging and re-plugging the battery, PM me if you need instructions for this- it's quite easy. This is, as you can imagine, a very busy time of year for Atomic- but they are very good at getting things done for trips when needed. It shouldn't be necessary to send it out, though, if it's just a matter of resetting.

Ron

Ron I have the same problem - packed away the computer and was still working/charged. Have never had an issue with the battery completely running down before but took it out this weekend and completely dead. I have tried all the options on here and have just removed the battery and plugged the AC charger in - about how long should it take before I see it is charged/on or should it have turned on right away? (it didn't) I am in Australia so it makes it difficult to get it to a repair shop.
Thanks

Ron I have the same problem - packed away the computer and was still working/charged. Have never had an issue with the battery completely running down before but took it out this weekend and completely dead. I have tried all the options on here and have just removed the battery and plugged the AC charger in - about how long should it take before I see it is charged/on or should it have turned on right away? (it didn't) I am in Australia so it makes it difficult to get it to a repair shop.
Thanks
Assuming 1) you have the correct side of the adapter plugged in, 2) the charger itself is producing power, and 3) the adapter isn't broken internally, if you have the battery out and plug in the AC charger the Cobalt should come up within a 5-10 seconds. It won't charge if the battery is not installed, of course. But if the Cobalt is getting power it should start. Does the battery appear damaged or swollen?

If you don't see the Cobalt come up, first thing would be to check the charger and adapter. If you have access to a meter, the two outside sockets on the charging adapter AC side should be supplying a little over 6 volts DC. If you don't see this voltage coming from the adapter, check the output of the charger plug itself. The adapters sometimes break- the charging connector/ socket comes off the board- and if they do charging from AC won't work, though USB might be fine. It would be a simple matter for Atomic to replace the adapter or charger.

Another thing to try would be to replace the battery and connect the charger on the USB side to the Cobalt, plugged into any USB source. That won't restart the Cobalt, but it will charge the battery. After an hour or so, remove the adapter, remove the battery, then re-plug the battery in and see if it has charged enough to restart the Cobalt- give it 30 seconds or so.

If neither of these suggestions work, let me know- feel free to PM me.

Ron

thanks I will give some of this a try - I have metered the adapter and it is showing power so pretty sure it is OK at this point.
I will PM you if I get no where :)

Andy

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

Sorry Ron and no there is no evidence that there has been any water infiltration to the battery compartment. Frustrating - I love this computer!

thanks I will give some of this a try - I have metered the adapter and it is showing power so pretty sure it is OK at this point.
I will PM you if I get no where :)

Andy

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

Sorry Ron and no there is no evidence that there has been any water infiltration to the battery compartment. Frustrating - I love this computer!

Transferring to PM with other suggestions. Over. :)

Ron

I have just return from a weeks diving in Greece sadly to find that my atomic cobalt 2 dive computer has failed after approximalty only 100 dives, the dive computer does not turn on and despite me using the AC wall charger and also holding the left and right button to reset it, it still does not work, I'm devastated as i always took such great care of the unit and washed it very carefully after each dive and also used it within operating spec, I believe that it has slightly flooded as i can see small droplets of water inside the screen and it is slightly fogged, I have read online that a huge number of people are suffering problems like this, i payed a large sum for this dive computer and am really concerned that it is totally ruined and to no fault of my own, please can you let me know how i can send this to be repaired?

I have a Cobalt 2 and this happened to me once. I cannot pack the unit away for any long period of time. Every few weeks during the winter, I check the Cobalt and put it on the charger. This is a great unit but high maintenance.

Welcome to the life of owning an Atomic Cobalt. If you are not diving enough to keep a charge in the battery all the time, then you absolutely must use the AC charger when the batter has run down. Make the mistake of using the USB adapter on a dead battery and you get to take the back off and pull the battery. The charging adapter is also very poorly made in my opinion. I am on my third one now. It always fails on the AC adaptor charging side...seems like a circuit board contact gets broken...not sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom