Need help w/ weighting for my Whites Fusion dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfdiver140

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really need help I am getting so frustrated with my Fusion. I have had it for 2 years and only made 6 dives in it because it is frustrating. I don't really look forward to diving in it because of weighting issues. I am a diver with over 200 logged dives. I am diving Monterey - cold water, base layer is the fourth elemement Xerotherm, I use the White Mk2 jump suit, and the booties inside the suit with rock boots, cold water hood and gloves. I use 2-2 lb ankle weights, and 2-2 lbs trim weights in the back of the BC. This is my problem I can't seem to get the weight correct. I am 205lbs. When I dove a 6.5 wet suit I used 29lbs. Today I began the dive with 28 lbs and needed more so I added two 3-lbs shot bags making the amount 34lbs and I was still to light so I could not add air in my suit. Next time I will try total 36lbs what am I doing wrong. Why do I need so much weight? I am still cold because I have not been able to add much air and I know that air in the suit is what helps keep you warm. Is there a formula that works for people who dive the fusion. Also because I can not add the dry air from the tank when I get out I am so wet with sweat I as wet as if I dove with a wet suit....as you can see I am frustrated and ready to use a wet suit again. People in my dive club are trying to help but I am hoping you have some answers. thank you Steve

No formula - you need the amount of weight you need. But I think you do need to do a dive just to get your weight set up. Carry some extra weight for a dive (more than you think you might ever need), at the end of the dive, at the surface, with the tank as empty as you normally surface with AND your BC completely empty - get the amount of air in the suit you think will be comfortable with (for temperature) and then start taking off weight. At the point where you are just neutral you have the right amount of weight.

What kind of tanks are you using? Seems like a good application for steel tanks.

sfdiver140

I agree, there's nothing to get frustrated with. Depending on what you wetsuit was in style/condition/buoyancy you will probably need considerably more weight to dive any shell drysuit with a hefty well lofted garment. There's no free lunch. Take an aggressive shot at what you may need for weight and make sure some of it is available for removal during an end of dive weight check.

If you were at 29 wet there's a good chance you are diving AL80's. To make the most of a cold water configuration steel cylinders are your friend. See my AL80 rant.

Pete

Hey guys thank you I do dive steel both 72 and 95. I don't like AL tanks. I will just jump in and add a lot more weight and go for it.

Another idea that may help you, is to go with a steel plate/wing. The plate will take 6lbs off and distribute it over your torso.

Adam

when i tested a dry suit, i started with an extra 6 pounds, but i was a little underweighted. So i reckon you need at least 8 pound's extra.
fyi, it was a neoprene drysuit with minimal undergarments, so YMMV

Anyway, best to ignore me, I'm still very new to diving :)

Everyone that switches to a drysuit, from a wetsuit, is boggled by the extra weight. Insulation keeps you warm, and it takes lead - more than you think - to sink the insulating airspace.

Here's how to tell what you really need:
  • Go to the local pool with a buddy.
  • Put on your suit along with all your normal insulation, hood, and mask.
  • Open shoulder dump all the way.
  • Wade around in neck-deep water for about 5 minutes. This "shrink wraps" your suit.
  • Return to shallow end.
  • Lay flat on water surface. Make yourself rigid like a board.
  • Have your buddy slowly pile weights on your chest & belly.
  • Test is complete when you float with a full breath, and begin to sink after exhaling more than half your lung capacity.
  • Write it down.

...This is the total ballast it takes to sink you.

As a point of reference, I weigh 198 lbs, and am 6'2". I have abnormally large lungs. Using similar undergarments as yours in a Fusion, I need a total of 41 lbs of ballast. <note: I've seen that regular folks without my 9 liters of lung capacity need 35-36 lbs>

Now, take your total ballast, and add/subtract the following amounts:

Backplate -5 lbs
Regular BC +1 lb
Regulator -1.5 lbs
Can light -2 lbs
Aluminum 80 +4 lbs
Steel HP 100 -2.5 lbs

After doing all this, you will have the amount you need to wear on a weight belt, in fresh water.

Now, to confirm this:
  • Attach a cylinder at ~500 psi or less to your BC.
  • Put everything on.
  • Again shrink-wrap suit.
  • Dump all air from BC.
  • You should be neutral at half a breath, just under the surface (sink w/ full exhale, rise w/ full inhale)
  • Adjust lead until this happens.
  • Write it down.

For salt water, dry everything out, then gear up and weigh yourself complete as you would get into the water. Then, multiply that weight by 0.0256. This is the weight you should add for correct weighting in salt water.

...Whew! That's quite a bit, but, worth the investment to stay warm. Hope this helps!

All the best, James

Hi James thank you so much for some great information -- WOW that is one I need to print and keep in my records. I am off to a pool tomorrow eve. I want to commend you on your very cool post with pictures when you were diving in Lake Tahoe. I love diving the Rubicon area. I studied your pictures before I bought a fusion you should get royalties. thank you again Steve

Back
Top Bottom