Need Help With Corrective Vision Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I currently use and very much like Scubapro's Frameless mask but have hit the age wheras I need a remedy for farsightedness. Any recomendations for a on-line or local for me optometrist that specializes with this need? Thanks!

I currently use and very much like Scubapro's Frameless mask but have hit the age wheras I need a remedy for farsightedness. Any recomendations for a on-line or local for me optometrist that specializes with this need? Thanks!

1st of all, are you speaking of hyperopia(farsightedness corrected with single vision lenses) OR presbyopia(good distance vision with poor near vision ie over the age of 40 & corrected with multifocal lens Rx ie bifocals)??

I second PDM, I have 2 mask done by them and when I need another one I will get them to do it as well. Both of my mask are full prescription with bifocals. Really nice, helpful staff, my second mask was done custom for camera use, makes a world of difference.

1st of all, are you speaking of hyperopia(farsightedness corrected with single vision lenses) OR presbyopia(good distance vision with poor near vision ie over the age of 40 & corrected with multifocal lens Rx ie bifocals)??

All new terminology to me but It sounds like I am presbyopia. Just acquired bifocals. Thank you!

All new terminology to me but It sounds like I am presbyopia. Just acquired bifocals. Thank you!

If you only have an Rx in 'the bottom' then you are presbyopic---ie not farsighted......

Reason I asked is farsightedness alone(without presbyopia ie no bifocal correction) is ALOT easier to correct in a mask ---good luck, I would follow the advice others have given you here....

You won't be disappointed. I also wear bifocals and have used PDM since getting into scuba. In fact, I'm having my bi-annual eye exam this weekend and will be sending off yet another mask to PDM along with my prescription next week.

The only downside to a prescription mask is that it makes the mask a very expensive piece of gear. So I use Pelican boxes to protect my prescription masks whenever I go diving. Those flimsy plastic boxes that come with the masks just won't do.

And although it's expensive, a prescription mask is worth every penny!

You won't be disappointed. I also wear bifocals and have used PDM since getting into scuba. In fact, I'm having my bi-annual eye exam this weekend and will be sending off yet another mask to PDM along with my prescription next week.

The only downside to a prescription mask is that it makes the mask a very expensive piece of gear. So I use Pelican boxes to protect my prescription masks whenever I go diving. Those flimsy plastic boxes that come with the masks just won't do.

And although it's expensive, a prescription mask is worth every penny!

Weekend??...who works on weekends anymore----except for emergency stuff.....just curious.....

That time is made for diving........lol

I'm I'm near sighted, so I'm looking for a prescription mask, with bi-focal, so I can also read the gauges easier (cheap computer = small text - not good for corrected near sightedness. I also heard of SeaVisionUSA.com. I saw some letters from 2004 that were very positive for Prescription Dive Masks.com, but was concerned they didn't have any newer letters of praise. I'm old school, bigger volume three windo masks with purge. I liked the one I saw at PDM, but am still looking around to make sure I have at least three choices. Anywhere else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom