Need help with first strobe, mount and optical cord...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daytrayd

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had my s90 and fix housing for almost a year now, and with our honeymoon in Fiji coming up, I'd like to upgrade a few things to really get the most out of the trip.

I am going to get a single S2000 strobe because size is a high priority. I have thought about the D2000, but I'm not sure I would use the external auto function. I shot mostly in regular auto mode in Cancun because I couldnt get the settings right in manual. Im still very new to this so I'm not sure I really need the extra functionality.

Heres where I need help. I've looked at different arm setups and I really just want something simple. I think a flex arm would work fine with a simple tray. I've looked at ULCS setups, but I'm not sure the complexity and cost would be worth my simple point and shoot single strobe setup. Any advise?

Also, I am under the impression the S2000 does not need an optical cord, as the sTTL sensor can detect your camera's flash and sync them, correct? All the setups I see come with an expensive optical cord, which I'm not sure I need.

I dont have any lenses yet, but may add a macro and wide lens. If I went with the UWL-04, which macro lens would you get? I know inon has the 165ad wide and macro, but I like the uwl04's size.

Thanks for the help!

With the S2000 a loc-line system can work (get the bigger diameter) but in the long run the ULCS stuff is just easier to get the strobe to the right position and keep it there. You definitely want the optical sync cord. That way you can get TTL. As for add on lenses, not my thing so I can't comment.
Bill

I just went through a similar decision. I ended up with the D2000. Much higher power output and the auto-ttl. You can also add a S2000 as a slave later if desired. In the larger scheme of things, the optical cable is a pretty minor expense.

I guess I am confused. Both the S2000 and the D2000 have the same output (both have DN of 20, according to Inon) so I don't see the much higher output. Both will do STTL with the camera and sync cord. The D2000 does have the modeling light which to me is a moot point since you mostly shouldn't be pointing the strobe at the subject). The D2000 is a bit wider beam in one direction but other than that they are the same. In my real world tests, the S2000 is about 1/4 stop less powerful than the D2000 when shooting at 2 feet away but that is mostly not measurable.
Bill

I have the s2000 with a FIX S90. I have both ULCS Arms and Flex Arms.

The Optical Cable makes a huge difference and I would consider the cable-less connection just a marketing gimmick. You will eventually get the optical cable,

With the size of the S2000, the Flex Arm is more than sufficient. When I am am shooting Macro only, the flex arms is what I use. less maintenance and assembly, more compact. I use the ULCS Arms and tray when I have both Wide Angle and Macro lenses with me since I am able to attach a lens holder .

Here are some photos of my rig.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/strobes-lighting/381057-tray-arm-options.html#post5875248

I much prefer the D2000.

You need the optical cable.

The UFL165AD is much smaller and lighter than the Fisheye UWL-04. With the Inon AD lenses you can set up for bayonet mount. If you go with the UWL-04 then I would probably get a Inon 165-67mm. I would also get a 67mm adapter such as the one from Dyron and from my sig below.

N

Back
Top Bottom