Need help with: Mares Abyss serial number (and much more) problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sho0ter_McGavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

I have recently bought a Mares Abyss Navy II and tested it in a closed environment (pool) only to find out it was breathing wet (on the first breath I took). We looked through the warranty papers to find out we had the wrong papers. To summarize the whole situation, we found out we were given the demonstrator (its serial being a YM10108), while the papers were (BY11357). We went back to the shop and found out that the papers matched the regulator that now was in the counter (the demonstrators). The engraving of the numbers is also different from the other regulators we saw in the shop, being smaller (while the others look... Bolder?).

From what we guess, it's a simple mix up, the guy was pretty occupied, mounted the octopus and gauges on the demo and put the one we bought back in the counter. Had it been in working order, we wouldn't have noticed.

I was wondering many things. The first one being what the difference in the serial numbers. Does it mean anything?

Also, the shop owner wouldn't correct the mistake (of the incorrect serial numbers), is he wrong to do so? Could it screw me over some maintenance thing, since the numbers are wrong?

I was also curious if anyone knew how to decipher Mares' serial numbers, just to help me understand...

Thanks! :)

real simple, you don't have documentation that you own those regulators, you have documentation that you own the regulators in his case. He needs to either give you the correct paperwork, or the correct regulators. If the new reg was breathing wet, the diaphragms weren't seated properly, probably just something stuck in them. Super simple fix

@Lake Hickory Scuba Bryan, any info on the serial numbers?

Thanks for your quick reply!

About the documentation, that's what we told the people at the shop, matching papers will cause much less problems, they didn't seem to mind at all, saying it wasn't necessary... Pretty annoying to argue against a careless person... We spoke to another person at the shop today over the phone, he was much more concerned about the whole thing and wanted to correct the whole situation. We'll see tomorrow how it goes, I guess..!

@tbone1004, @sho0ter_McGavin, my suggestion would be to contact Mares directly,‭(800) 874-3236‬ (ask to speak to Brad in parts), and explain to him the situation. Be sure to tell them the name of the shop and the salesman name. This will hopefully resolve the issue with the mismatched numbers and regulator. In regards to the second stage breathing wet, several things could be the issue. Most common of course is the exhaust diaphragm may have a hole in it, or the purge diaphragm could have a small hole, or lastly it could be a small hole in the mouthpiece itself. Not to throw blame on the diver, but very recently I had a student who claimed one of our classroom regulators kept breathing wet. Upon inspection we couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Come to find out, he simply wasn’t sealing his lips completely around the mouthpiece. Unfortunately I am on vacation with the wife and kids, or I would say send it to me, and I would be happy to look at it for you. I should be back at the shop on Monday, the 18th, if you would like to give me a call. Shop 8286327649, Cell 8282440465. I would definitely go back to the shop though and demand (tactfully of course) for the paperwork or correct regulator for the paperwork you have. I personally dive the Mares Navy Abyss for all my Public Safety Diving, and Cold Water Diving, and can honestly say it’s a great regulator. As far as the serial numbers go, I’m not sure if there is any meaning to them other than the order they are produced by Mares. Dealers can contact Mares with the numbers to verify if they came from an authorized dealer, but that’s all they are really good for. When a customer purchases one from us, we show them how to register it with Mares for warranty purposes, but I have done warranty work and sent several Regulators, Computers, BCD’s, and Mask back for warranty issues, even without them being registered. Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but I will be available on the 18th, if you would like to call with any more questions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom