Need help with my new DIN tanks, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrConclusion

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for helping in the previous thread. Now for the next issue...

These are three Sherwood 100cu/ft 3500psi tanks. They're out for Hydro right now, and I was told that they looked good at the preliminary VIP.

My LDS fills nitrox from banked 40% pre-mix, and tops off with hyperfiltered air to the desired O2 percentage. So, for now I'm not concerned with oxygen-cleaning for partial-pressure filling.

However, I was told that they want the tanks to be tumbled clean, and the valves rebuilt with nitrox-compatable orings/grease before filling them with EAN. There's only one guy there who does this, and he's so overworked that he recommends that I do it myself. He knows that i'm relatively handy with this stuff, and that if I tell him "it's done" that he can trust me.

QUESTION 1: I can assemble a 25-30 RPM tumbler without too much trouble, but what abrasive should be used, how much, and for how long? I have read WILDLY varying reports on the internet.

QUESTION 2: What solvent(s) should be used for the clean-out? I have read everything from low-phosphate acid solution to "Simple Green!" Once I know what to use, should the valve be cleaned with the same solvent?

QUESTION 3: What's the good source for Nitrox-compatable valve seats and O-rings for the valves? Call Sherwood?

BONUS QUESTION: Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

The board helps them who help themselves.

Do a search on "cleaning" "tumbling" "tumbler" and a couple other likely terms. This has been coverd many, many, MANY times already.

Limiting the search to just this section will probably help too. You may have to dig for a couple minutes, but there's far more information aready on the board than you'll get by some answers to this one thread.

Roak

Good advice, I tried searching "tumbling" but I got back a lot of useless threads.

If anyone knows a GOOD thread, could you please post a link here?

You might need to take a drive from Annapolis up to Norristown, PA and talk to John at Northeast Scuba Supply. It's just a little west of Philadelphia.

Tom,

Wow, I looked up Northeast Scuba's website, and I think that's exactly where I'm heading. Their prices and available services are very impressive. Thanks for the tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom