Need Help with weighting for my Fusion dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfdiver140

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey White Manufacturing -- I really need help I am getting so frustrated with my Fusion. I have had it for 2 years and only made 6 dives in it because it is frustrating. I don't really look forward to diving in it because of weighting issues. I am a diver with over 200 logged dives. I am diving Monterey - cold water, base layer is the fourth elemement Xerotherm, I use the White Mk2 jump suit, and the booties inside the suit with rock boots, cold water hood and gloves. I use 2-2 lb ankle weights, and 2-2 lbs trim weights in the back of the BC. This is my problem I can't seem to get the weight correct. I am 205lbs. When I dove a 6.5 wet suit I used 29lbs. Today I began the dive with 28 lbs and needed more so I added two 3-lbs shot bags making the amount 34lbs and I was still to light so I could not add air in my suit. Next time I will try total 36lbs what am I doing wrong. Why do I need so much weight? I am still cold because I have not been able to add much air and I know that air in the suit is what helps keep you warm. Is there a formula that works for people who dive the fusion. Also because I can not add the dry air from the tank when I get out I am so wet with sweat I as wet as if I dove with a wet suit....as you can see I am frustrated and ready to use a wet suit again. People in my dive club are trying to help but I am hoping you have some answers. thank you Steve

Last edited:
Depending on the wetsuit you refer to and it's remaining buoyancy you may need considerably more when diving a drysuit with a lofty garment. Which Whites jumpsuit do you have?

It sounds like you are getting the suit to squeeze down so I think you need to bite the bullet and add enough weight to certainly be easily down. You can do a weight check at the end of the dive in hopes of peeling some off.

thank you my under garment is the White MK2 Jump suit.....the wet suit I used was a body glove 6.5 mm.

Asking about how much weight you will need is a shot in the dark from a forum point of view. There are far to many variables to consider. Run your tank down to 600 psi. Go down to the dock in about 10 feet of water, wearing all the gear you would normally wear, and try to sink to the bottom. If you don't your buddy on the dock will put another pound or two on you. Repeat until you stay down.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with your Fusion.

There is no magic formula for getting weighting right in a Fusion.
You just need to do a proper weight check. Your lead requirement with the Fusion might be greater, less, or the same as your lead requirement with a wetsuit. The right amount of lead is what it is.

A weight check with a drysuit is different from a weight check in a wetsuit in that the amount of gas inside the drysuit adds another variable. Typically, drysuit divers have a comfortable amount of gas in the drysuit while doing the weight check. I like to be warm even at shallow depths, so I conduct the weight check with enough air inside the drysuit to keep the undergarment maximally lofted. You can get a feel for the right amount of gas inside the suit by doing the weight check in a horizontal position just below the surface of the water...or you could try doing it vertically, holding a normal breath, with water at eye level, etc. Don't forget to compensate for the amount of remaining gas in your tank during the weight check.

If you change your undergarment, do another weight check.

Two of my buddies own Fusions. They both really like the drysuit. It took them one weight check in order to get the weighting correct.
Take your time to do a good weight check. It will pay-off.

Are you diving steel tanks? That will allow you to dive with less lead as well.

Drysuits are all different - but I have found that I actually use less weight with the fusion than with any other drysuit.

Are you normally very buoyant?

Every person is different - and you may have to adjust your weights several times before you get 'happy'.

I know of people who need to dive with 35+ lbs simply due to their personal buoyancy.

Thank you for the suggestions I will try a specific weight check next time it just seems like so much weight.

I do dive with steel tanks both 72ci and 95ci. I normally sink like a rock in fact when I was training for a trialthlon I went through 3 swim instructors because I would sink so bad and they would tell me they did not understand why I was sinking all swimming techniques were correct. Again I am so bewildered that I need so much weight. What I also notice is as the weight increases and having to add it to my integraded BC it gets really hard to bear all the weight on my shoulders I may go back to a weight belt just to split the weight between my shoulders and my waist. What do you think.

I do dive with steel tanks both 72ci and 95ci. I normally sink like a rock in fact when I was training for a trialthlon I went through 3 swim instructors because I would sink so bad and they would tell me they did not understand why I was sinking all swimming techniques were correct. Again I am so bewildered that I need so much weight. What I also notice is as the weight increases and having to add it to my integraded BC it gets really hard to bear all the weight on my shoulders I may go back to a weight belt just to split the weight between my shoulders and my waist. What do you think.
Just a few comments...

Some people are negatively buoyant. Some are positively buoyant. If you're a "sinker," that means you don't need as much ballast to be properly weighted. Enjoy. :D

I think it's a bad idea to have all of your weight attached to your BCD. Not only does this necessitate that the BCD provide greater lift (to float the rig without you in it at the surface), but the BCD often doesn't distribute the weight very evenly. I know several drysuit divers who had to add a significant amount of weight compared to when they dived in a wetsuit. These people addressed the increased dry-carry weight issues by getting a weight harness like the DUI Weight & Trim. Problem solved.

First, figure out how much total lead you need to be properly weighted.
Second, determine where that weight needs to be (weightbelt/weight harness, BCD weight-integrated pockets, BCD trim weight pockets, camband pockets, etc.) in order for you to be in good horizontal trim.
Third, figure out how much of that weight should be ditchable.

All of these issues can be sorted out rather quickly if you have access to a good instructor or an experienced drysuit diver. I'm sure that if you ask around your dive club, you could find a few people who might be able to help.

When I dove a 6.5 wet suit I used 29lbs ..... Next time I will try total 36lbs what am I doing wrong. Why do I need so much weight?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I have a similar situation. When diving wet with a two piece 6.5mm wetsuit I use 10kg. With a Fusion I need 18kg to be comfortable inside the suit, so 80% more.

Just estimating volumes, you can see that this makes sense. My undersuit is relatively thick. Combine that with the fact that it's creased, that this drysuit's inner shell also has creases that retain and that the space inside the shell is mostly air (compared to neoprene), this increase in the necessary weight isn't surprising.

Back
Top Bottom