Need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Niazi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am in the army and recently been selected for Diving Course. The problem is that I am suffering from tinnitus since 2years caused by extensive firing. I want to know that whether this tinnitus will cause me any problems or hinder my diving. I have also come to know that initially there will be Pressurized Chamber test to check the pressure endurance of ears. Will this tinnitus be a problem for the Chamber test? And the dives will be deep upto 120fts.

You need to check with your Medical Doctor.

IMHO though, (I frequently also suffer from tinnitus and it has not affected my diving), as long as you can clear your ears you should be fine.

The only problem with chamber dives is they tend to go deep faster than you might do in the water. It is also noisy and hot.

Key point though is communications to the surface in case you are having problems equalizing.

Will your diving course be provided through the military? (which military...in Pakistan??)?

If so, it is usual that they will give you a complete medical before enrolment.

Even with civilian diving operations, if you have ear problems, then you'd be well advised to get a medical check before diving - as this will form a part of your medical declaration form that you complete before starting the course.

As others have said, you should rely on medical advice. That being said, I have suffered from constant tinnitus for a great number of years due to a lot of time in industrial construction in my past...and, probably also from years of riding motorcycles...and, it has never given me any issues relative to diving. Good luck with it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I just wanted to know that is it possible to dive with tinnitus and i have got the answer. Yes of course there will be a detailed medical before the course begins. I volunteered for this course that is why i was inquisitive about tinnitus affects on diving before the course begins.

You'll probably enjoy your time underwater. The only time my left ear doesn't squeal is when I'm diving.

As others have said, you should rely on medical advice. That being said, I have suffered from constant tinnitus for a great number of years due to a lot of time in industrial construction in my past...and, probably also from years of riding motorcycles...and, it has never given me any issues relative to diving. Good luck with it.

My tinnitus came on spontaneously. The doctor originally tried to blame it on my driving road racing sports cars (Camaros and Corvettes) and their open exhausts, until I made sure he understood it was my right ear that was giving me trouble (for left hand drive automobiles, that would be the one to the inside of the car). I've had it for over ten years now, and have never had a problem diving. Both ears clear fine and equally, and as is pointed out elsewhere, it seems as though being underwater masks some of it versus being in air.

I hope you enjoy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom