need ID help on florida drum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having trouble with this (apparently common) SE Florida fish. Stuck between Bairdiella chrysoura (silver perch) and Corvula sanctaeluciae (striped croaker). Schooling with some other junk just off the beach in Lantana. Help.

Attachments

• P4090004.jpg
    P4090004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 106
  • P4090010.jpg
    P4090010.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 94
To me the diagonal pattern on the flank indicates they are French Grunts. JMHO, of course. :wink:

Given the mouth and general patterns I would go with a croaker. I have caught a few thousand Altantic Croaker and they look like that. The Atlantic Croaker can vary a bit in color from mostly silver to having an almost yellow or brozish cast. SE Florida is well within their range. They also are prone to being in schools and will come right into the surf.

Hmm... Atlantic Croaker. Could very well be, although the fisheries folks say they rarely venture south of Indian River Lagoon.

Humann Guide really dropped the ball on this fish... I keep seeing it all over the bloody place in Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Naw - it's a snare drum. Now where is the high hat cymbal?

Those look like Sand Drum. They don't always have the bars.

You got some Threadfin mixed in the second shot too.

Louis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom