Need ideas, trip for 2, easy diving, some seclusion. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DustyC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wife and i have been to Bonaire, where we rented a nice villa on the water. We had 5 friends with us, so the romance was limited.

I'm a tech diver, she's getting OW this year. She wants somewhere other than a place she's been. And she wants to be on the water. Caribbean, Central America, or Mexico.

Big hotels don't suit us at all. I'm open to anything from a VRBO cottage on the water to a small AI like Anthony's Key.

Budget is about 3k for everything except travel.

We don't need a heavy dive schedule. 2 a day for 5 days is more than enough. She'll probably do 1 a day.

So, lay some ideas on me.

Curacao, Westpunt area. Nice rural vibe with friendly folks. We like a VRBO in Marazul. Excellent house reef and pool. Easy shore diving, nice boat dives, nice beaches. Condo has a full kitchen and outdoor grill. Pick up groceries at the modern supermarket on the way out of Willemstad. I had flipping steaks (or burgers or whatever) between dips in the pool down to an art form by the time we left. Several nice local restaurants for when you don't feel like cooking.

Our best "couples" outing was pack a lunch, grab tanks, and drive to the San Juan area. It's a rough road back into the sites, but passable if you take your time. There are four small beaches set back in small coves. If you go during the week odds are you'll have them to yourselves. Nice dives off the beach. Good snorkeling along the rock cliffs and large boulders. Idyllic Caribbean scenery. Very secluded. :)

As I read your reply, I have 2 small places up on VRBO in Westpunt. So it's pretty much like Bonaire, rent a house, rent a truck, get a tank package and do your own thing?
Curacao, Westpunt area. Nice rural vibe with friendly folks. We like a VRBO in Marazul. Excellent house reef and pool. Easy shore diving, nice boat dives, nice beaches. Condo has a full kitchen and outdoor grill. Pick up groceries at the modern supermarket on the way out of Willemstad. I had flipping steaks (or burgers or whatever) between dips in the pool down to an art form by the time we left. Several nice local restaurants for when you don't feel like cooking.

Our best "couples" outing was pack a lunch, grab tanks, and drive to the San Juan area. It's a rough road back into the sites, but passable if you take your time. There are four small beaches set back in small coves. If you go during the week odds are you'll have them to yourselves. Nice dives off the beach. Good snorkeling along the rock cliffs and large boulders. Idyllic Caribbean scenery. Very secluded. :)

I second Westpunt. Check out Allwest Apt and diving Gowest.

As I read your reply, I have 2 small places up on VRBO in Westpunt. So it's pretty much like Bonaire, rent a house, rent a truck, get a tank package and do your own thing?

Yes. Actually a car (don't ask me why), but we figured out how to dive out of the trunk. It's easier than it looks. A bit more driving to the sites as they aren't as handy as Bonaire, but lots of beach entries without nearly so much iron shore. Marazul has steps down from a cliff (nice steps with good handrails) and a great house dive. Also the boat diving is worthwhile.

Yes. Actually a car (don't ask me why), but we figured out how to dive out of the trunk. It's easier than it looks. A bit more driving to the sites as they aren't as handy as Bonaire, but lots of beach entries without nearly so much iron shore. Marazul has steps down from a cliff (nice steps with good handrails) and a great house dive. Also the boat diving is worthwhile.
Eww boats.... I'm the strangest of all things, a guy that loves to dive, and loves to fish, that gets seasick in anything but small swells. lol. The place I'm looking at (and that my wife loves) is in Marazul, it has a pic of the steps. I think that's the way we're leaning.

If you can stomach one boat dive Watamula is excellent, especially as a drift dive. The dive in front of Marazul was really good. I could be happy just diving it all week, but you won't want to. :)

Heading to Curacao (Marazul) in April with my wife. First trip shore diving so we shall see how that goes. @DustyC when are you looking to go? I would more than happy to post a report for you when we get back.

Utila?

Utila is only $100pp. further from Roatan (or even cheaper thru San Pedro Sula) and one option there might be - Top Utila Resorts | Utila Dive Resorts - Utopia Village

I haven't been there. There's a shore dive there but mostly just one.

From now to maybe mid-June? - snorkeling with Whale Sharks is an option there.

Last edited:
Romantic? Utopia Village on Utila. Tell them you want romantic. You will get it.

We did not ask, but they provided a private romantic supper for each couple on our trip. They also did a big flower petal display in our room on our wedding aniversary day.

Back
Top Bottom