need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire scuba

Registered
Reaction score
Mahomet, ILL. about 15 min. due west of the Univer
I am on a dive team in central Illinois on a volunteer fire department. My problem is our team leader has had to put us out of service as a rescue team because our Chief and one of our firefighters have moved our dive trailer into cold storage for some unknown reason. I am looking for information on the hazards and safety issues so that I can go into our officers meeting with some amo to back up my personal oppinion that our equipment needs to be in a heated truck bay. Can anyone help me with this issue?

fire scuba:
I am on a dive team in central Illinois on a volunteer fire department. My problem is our team leader has had to put us out of service as a rescue team because our Chief and one of our firefighters have moved our dive trailer into cold storage for some unknown reason. I am looking for information on the hazards and safety issues so that I can go into our officers meeting with some amo to back up my personal oppinion that our equipment needs to be in a heated truck bay. Can anyone help me with this issue?
There is nothing wrong with cold storage. It won't hurt the gear if dried and stored properly.

What you might try and shoot for is a heating unit that can be fired up while enroute to a call.

There is no reason that should put you out of service. Operating from a trailer in itself can add time to a Rescue. More so than an equiped vehicle.

Gary D.

Our gear is stored in an Unheated pole barn. Truck, Van, Boats, gear ready to go. In Granite City, Illinois.

We also have a heated building next to it. Usually, one truck and boat are in there. But, I also keep gear in my truck. For Rescue work I don't want to have to run to the building. I want to be able to go straight to the scene. So, gear is always with ya...

I keep my equipment in my Tahoe year round. Every winter, I simply say a prayer that I never have to use it from December through Mid-March.

Gary mentioned the key. The gear MUST be thoroughly dried.

Dan

fire scuba:
I am on a dive team in central Illinois on a volunteer fire department. My problem is our team leader has had to put us out of service as a rescue team because our Chief and one of our firefighters have moved our dive trailer into cold storage for some unknown reason. I am looking for information on the hazards and safety issues so that I can go into our officers meeting with some ammo to back up my personal oppinion that our equipment needs to be in a heated truck bay. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Here are two possibilities:

(1) There is a device called a "Goldenrod", which is a thermostatically controlled heater rod or bar used in gun safes. Put it in a small closet, and it should help keep things dry and warm.

(2) Build some small closet areas out of plywood, and put a light bulb (always on, of course) inside each. Some fiberglass or foam insulation would help, of course.

If your trailer is sitting out in the open, there are some relatively inexpensive enclosures that can be put up to protect it, and taken down in the summer. Try the on-line company "Northern Hydraulics". Of course, you will need to get someone to run power to that area to power said Goldenrods or lightbulbs.

Cheers!

Rob

Just a couple of hints for you as to what we do.

For RESCUE responses the way your gear is stored is more important than where it is stored.

Having everything crammed into a bag in a warm area isn’t any better than properly stored gear in a cold environment.

The old saying “First in last out” plays a very big roll when time is of the essence. Everything needs to be stored in the order in which it is going to be used.

When my gear is uncovered the first item you see is my dry suit and underwear. These are laid out ON TOP of my gear bag with any rubber seals and the zipper open to the air so the heat gets to them first.

The rest of the accessories are in the bag with it open and not zipped up.

Between the seat back and my gear bag is the tank or tanks, BC and Regulator with my mask attached.

Everything is positioned so that as the car warm up the heat circulates around my gear.

The same thing can be done with a trailer. If they won’t let you keep a heater going in it all the time get a heater that can be run while enroute to a call. A small generator could even be used to power up an electric heater while you running to a call.

When it gets to sub-zero or an extended near zero spell I put a small ceramic heater in the car right next to my gear. Better safe than sorry.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom