Need luggage suggestion - Akona Evolution good? General do's and don'ts for luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking into scuba luggage for my Dad. Has anyone used the Akona Evolution? Anything else you guys (gals) feels strongly about one way or another with luggage? Any general do's or don'ts re: scuba luggage?

Thanks!

Brian

The problem with luggage labled with a known Scuba related logo is it screams "steal me" since folks can easily identify it probably contains high cost items (AKA scuba gear). I use generic samsonite type bags and have never had a problem with theft.

Mike

brianstclair:
"Comes with a cover"? What does that mean? Like you drop this whole piece of luggage into another non-descript bag?

Brian

IMHO that would be a royal pain and not secure at all. Just a doodad. I would stay with a zipper bag so that you can use the plastic ties and I tape spare ones to the suitcase handle with a dang bid note inside...TSA PLS RESEAL WITH PROVIDED TIES.... and I would say 90% of the time they do.

brianstclair:
"Comes with a cover"? What does that mean? Like you drop this whole piece of luggage into another non-descript bag?

Brian

Yep comes with another bag....and just like you said, you just drop it in a cinch it shut

RICHinNC:
IMHO that would be a royal pain and not secure at all. Just a doodad. I would stay with a zipper bag so that you can use the plastic ties and I tape spare ones to the suitcase handle with a dang bid note inside...TSA PLS RESEAL WITH PROVIDED TIES.... and I would say 90% of the time they do.

As I understand it, the Akona bag is as secure as any piece of luggage, it's just that the Akona logo - or a dive flag, or anything like that - might as well be a dollar sign. So dropping the Akona bag into a plain "sack" doesn't make it any more secure, it just hides the advertising so to speak.

I like the zip tie idea - thanks!

Brian

Yep, all its going to do is keep lurking eyes from knowing whats inside it. Alot of luggage companies, even outside of scuba, are providing this type of enclosure with there bags.....Its not going to stop someone, if they want your bag they will take it, but its preventative security.......

Brian,
Check out the Armor #89 bag. I bought one about 3 weeks ago for my trip to Coz. Worked perfectly..not so much of a scratch on it. I bought a 3 pack of TSA locks from Walmart. When I got my gear to the hotel the lock was still on it and secured. I opened the bag and inside was a note from the TSA advising me that they had inspected it. I had no problem with the bag or locks. Good luck :D

Edit: I bought the bag from Scuba Toys and got my 10% discount..ya!

grumpy....you had some pretty good luck. On my last trip through Miami they were almost at the stage of dragging some guy off because he was raising such a ruccus over TSA cutting off his TSA locks and it was like the 3rd time the had done it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom