Need opinions/advice on my kit selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNSCUBA1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Here is what I have come up with so far. My primary diving will be mostly in MN so that means allot of cold freshwater lake diving. Also eventually once my training/experience are up to par I plan on doing allot of ice diving. I will also be taking several trips per year to tropical dive destinations:

ScubaPro Mk17/G260 First & Second Stage Regulator Combo (DIN) – Debating on if I should go with a 5’ or 7’ long hose? I’m 5’6” short stubby guy.
ScubaPro G260 Second Stage Regulator
Halcyon Submersible Pressure Gauge, 0-5000 psi, 2.5" Diameter
Halcyon Eclipse BC System w/40 pound wing and SS Back plate - Should I get a 30 or 40 pound wing? I picked the 40 since I will be primarily diving dry with a steel tank.
Weightbelt? Should I use a weight belt or use the Halcyon ACB weight pockets?
Deep Sea Supply 1 Basic OPV Kit & Hex Outer Nut - I have heard of allot of people having issues with the Halcyon OPV kit and have recommended replacing it with the DSS OPV Kit
Hollis F1 Spring Heel Fins – Any issues with the molded ring on the heal strap becoming an entanglement problem? I could just cut the ring off?
Shearwater Research Petrel OC/CC Standalone Tec/Rec Dive Computer - Please don't stone me to death on this. I plan on doing allot of traveling to tropical destinations as well which most require you to use a diving computer. It can also be switched to gauge mode before I hit the water :wink:.
Scubapro FS-2 or Suunto SK7 compass - I like the floating magnet feature of the FS-2 which enables it to be accurate in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. It also has a tilt angle up to 35 degrees. The compass face of the SK7 appears to be easier to read.
Tanks - Looking at Worthington of Faber HP cylinders - Need some help on this one. Would eventually like to dive doubles down the road.
Dry suit - Really like the Santi Elite. Unfortunately no one locally carries them. Need allot of advice on this.

Please feel free to add any comments/suggestions.

Chris Perzel

Regs:
Never dived them as I dive apeks, but scubapro seem to be popular as well. Haven't heard anything on the G360, but I've heard good things about its predecessor the G250.
SPG: any brass and glass SPG will do. I've got a combination of Hog and Dive Rite (I think) for my main and stage regs.
BP/W: Can't really comment on 30 or 40 pound. I dive a 30lb wing, also using drysuit and steel tanks for single tank and use a 40lb explorer for my twinset (also steel). I've heard a rumour steel tanks in the US are heavier than in the UK and Europe though. I guess it all amounts to how much total lift you will need depending on how negative your entire rig is.
Weight belt: On a single I use a combination 3kg weight belt with a 1kg weight on each tank cam band.
Hollis F1s: see if you can try a pair before you buy. I know people that swear by them and people that hate them with a fiery passion. They are quite long compared to jets and turtles. For me, they were too long and I couldn't fin properly with them.
If you want a petrel, go for it. it's up to you. If you're just going to switch into gauge mode for local stuff, and only put it in computer mode for holiday diving, get something like a second hand vyper. If you want something a bit fancy, a liquivision xen bottom timer or x-deep black (if you can get it), plus a second-hand vyper as a back-up gauge /holiday computer will probably still be cheaper than a petrel.
Compass: no opinion. i think mine is a cressi, and while i regularly wear it, i think i've only used it to take compass bearing while mapping wrecks.
Tanks: no comment as i don't have experience with us tanks.
Drysuit: again, no comment. but the santi is a sexy suit and if i had the money, i would probably get one.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 11:48 AM ----------

Also get a 7ft hose. I'm 5'3'' (okay 5'2'') and manage it. I've got to make sure it doesn't bulge out behind my head while I'm diving, but I'm really short (and generally tiny all over) in the body. You shouldn't have that problem. If you don't have a can light, tuck the excess into your waist strap.

the 40 pound wing is a doubles wing. get the 30
I believe they make a 40lb singles wing as well.

TO the OP-- if you took your dry suit out of the equation but kept the weight you add to sink it, could 30lbs of lift get you and your kit up to the surface? If so, get the 30lb. Requiring a 40lb would be an extreme situation outside of what most of us ever need.

I'd go with an unbalanced backup like the r195 and the 30lb wing. 40 is a lot.

If you REALLY wanna spend money get the Shearwater, otherwise get a simple bottom timer. I've never needed a computer in the past 10 years, to include trips to tropical locales like Thailand, Malaysia, the Keys, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and the Philippines. Buy if the pile of money you're sitting on is lumpy and you want to smooth it out some, go nuts!

Never had a problem with any computer requirement.

They see something round on your wrist and it's enough.

I use a 40lb wing and don't feel it's overkill when diving with a steel 130, in a cold lake. I use it down south as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom