Need political uprising updates/Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just heard that there are military vehicles guarding tourist area's in Sharm, is this true? :confused:

I've just heard that there are military vehicles guarding tourist area's in Sharm, is this true? :confused:
I don't know but I'd hope so since the dictator escaped to there. Mubarak reportedly flees to Sharm as riots overtake Cairo - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

It's interesting how evil the police seem to be vs how popular the military is. Just the opposite of many other countries. Experts: Egypt's fate rests in hands of popular, powerful military - CNN.com

Sad to the see the damages done to the museum before soldiers and civilians moved to protect it. I guess the rioters may see it as there for the powerful government and not them, but it is still their heritage. Rioting often inflicts damages on the innocent. So much for the fizzle out very quickly theory. Five days now. Wholesale Rape and Looting In Egypt, O.C. Journalist Reports - Corona del Mar, CA Patch

The man is 82. I am surprised he is trying to hold onto the country so. His sons don't seem into this as they got to London before mom did. At least they got him to finally appoint a vice-dictator.

guys, we have an internet ban, cellular phones were stopped for 2 days and just back yesterday.
No security in the streets except when the army is there and they are not everywhere...
former security are horrifying people especially at night, we are having night shifts and adding road blocks to stop their cars getting near our homes ... protesters are still there and they are trying to put pressure on them to leave by attacking houses and having a status of chaos....
please pray for us, and spread the word that most of the people are frustrated by the regime and the actions done and even those who were not supporting what is going on started to bias towards protesters due to the stupid actions of the former government...
SPREAD and PRAY for us

to those who will ask how I am posting this, I still have connection at work but I can not come except in broad day light and for a couple of hours to get back home and start preparing for the night action....

Pretty much none of several regular posters from the Red Sea resorts have posted since the media blackout started. However, BBC Radio Leeds' reporter Alex Bellfield is on holiday in Sharm El Shiekh and was phoning in from his hotel. He reported that all western tourists have been confined to their hotels, that regular roadblocks have been set up preventing all movement around the resort and that all shops have been shut down.

It's not unusual to see armed police guarding the big hotels and the main facilities in Sharm (which has long been a potential security threat target). There have been unconfirmed reports of bandits having entered Naama Bay from the foothills and of at least one shooting last night. If the police have pulled out and have been confined to barracks (as reported elsewhere) then it would probably be in the interests of the tourists for the army to step up to maintain order and security?

That's just my speculation though. Hopefuly we might hear from some divers on the ground soon?

It seems the army is pretty much leaving the protesters alone but trying to curb looting and other crimes. If they have to fire on looters, that delicate balance could topple.

guys, we have an internet ban, cellular phones were stopped for 2 days and just back yesterday.
No security in the streets except when the army is there and they are not everywhere...
former security are horrifying people especially at night, we are having night shifts and adding road blocks to stop their cars getting near our homes ... protesters are still there and they are trying to put pressure on them to leave by attacking houses and having a status of chaos....
please pray for us, and spread the word that most of the people are frustrated by the regime and the actions done and even those who were not supporting what is going on started to bias towards protesters due to the stupid actions of the former government...
SPREAD and PRAY for us

to those who will ask how I am posting this, I still have connection at work but I can not come except in broad day light and for a couple of hours to get back home and start preparing for the night action....

Stay safe and thnx for posting

Mubarak has a vacation home in Sharm right beside the hotel we stayed at in October, the Maritim Jolie Ville Golf Resort. There was a military presence with machine guns just to the left of the main gate. Their truck was parked there all day and night it appeared, and the guards walked around and sat around with their machine guns visible.

We were told by our guide as we were arriving at our resort that Mubarak's vacation home was next door and we would be extra safe there with the military presence in the most protected area of Sharm. That afternoon, as I was waiting for my dive shop to pick me up, I saw the truck in the empty lot next door and asked our front gate guard if that could be my dive shop truck and he said, "No, don't go there". Soon enough, I saw them come out of their truck with the machine guns... :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom