Need Recommendation Of A Tangle Proof Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrifterEd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very Unhappy With The Reel I Use To Send Up A Surface Marker So Boat Knows My Location. Frequently Floats Too Much With The Current But More Importantly Line Gets Jammed Around Nut Of Winding Handle. Any Suggestions Of A Tangle Proof Reel Etc...
Thanks....

Dont think ive ever seen one thats jam proof however some jam far more often than others.

Certainly avoid the fully enclosed reels as these have a very poor repuation.

The best way to avoid jamming is to make sure the reel is rewound properly after use, unwind it on the surface and using a friend or other method wind it back in under tension (and ensure no twists or knots).

A popular reel over here are the McMahon large reels:

http://www.mcmahon-engineering.com/large_reels.htm

Ive got one and like it. Storage isnt easy but winding in is very simple and effortless.

Ive seen those tangle in various items of kit as well.

I carry one of these for the SMB. I prefer it.

String:
Ive seen those tangle in various items of kit as well.
The Spool Gets Wapped Around Your Gear When You Try To Deploy The SMB?

Go for the spool.

a reel can get wrapped around your gear AND jam

a spool can only get wrapped round your gear.

he Spool Gets Wapped Around Your Gear When You Try To Deploy The SMB?

Yep ive seen spools snag around the octopus hose used to inflate, occasionally the tank pillar valve and anything else near by. Occasionally a buddy too.

Spools are no more fool proof than reels (and a damn site more annoying and fiddly to wind in 30m+ of line). Also totally inconvenient to tow as an SMB meaning youd need to own a spool AND a reel if using a delayed buoy AND intend to tow a normal SMB for a drift dive.

(i) It wasnt me
(ii) Simply pointing out its just as easy to get spools tangled as it is reels.

If a reel is properly looked after, good design and *properly* rewound under tension its no more likely to jam than a spool and BOTH have the potential to snag on kit and/or people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom