Need recommendations for lodging in Nags Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
Chris, are you EVER going to get that summer schedule? LOL Well, I hope you'll be able to join us, and yes they are shore dives. I thought I did check that link off their site, but maybe I missed that one hotel. I did call some hotels but they were a little more than I think we'd want to spend. I'll check again.

Mel

I'm off those days and definitely going, even if I have to QUIT! I'm glad someone found some cheap-o places because those hotels on the OBX site were like 100-200 bucks a night during June! :11:

I'm leaving work Friday night for the drive down, so I'll probably stay Friday and Saturday night. Houses are usually rented by the week right? It might be cheaper if it's possible for all of us to get one though.

I don't need much in the way of accommodations, just a bed, shower and A/C, so one of the efficiencies may be good.

Let me know if you dig up any info please Mel?

Kriterian:
Let me know if you dig up any info please Mel?

I'll definitely let you know what I find out. I need to get on the ball myself regarding a place to stay. If worse comes to worse I have family in Suffolk, VA, and can crash with them. I think they are about an 1 1/2 away from the beach.

suthnbelle:
Hi Dave! What did you think of the dive, and any recommendation on lodging?

Mel,

I spent a couple of nights in a Holiday Inn near Kitty Hawk when I was there diving. The hotel was nice, but the rates were cheaper because we were there early in the season, I think it was the April timeframe. And it was several years ago. From what I can remember, and it might be a little sketchy, the wrecks were interesting, but quite broken up as most near-shore wrecks tend to be, and not must opportunity for penetrations if that is what you are interested in doing. They were shallow, maybe 20-25 feet, and not much sealife nearby. Like I mentioned, the biggest problem was getting accurate directions to the dive location. I cannot remember if this is correct, but you had to find some house, and go directly out from shore about 200 yards to get in the vicinity of the wrecks. Several of the accomodations on shore look the same so you have to make sure you have the right landmark. Like I said, I got bad info (for I have infallable navigational abilities! :wink: LOL) Oh, yeah, the viz can vary, but I had at least 50 feet that day and that's good for a shore dive.

Let me know if I can help you out any further...

Dave

scubadiver214:
Mel,

I spent a couple of nights in a Holiday Inn near Kitty Hawk when I was there diving. The hotel was nice, but the rates were cheaper because we were there early in the season, I think it was the April timeframe. And it was several years ago. From what I can remember, and it might be a little sketchy, the wrecks were interesting, but quite broken up as most near-shore wrecks tend to be, and not must opportunity for penetrations if that is what you are interested in doing. They were shallow, maybe 20-25 feet, and not much sealife nearby. Like I mentioned, the biggest problem was getting accurate directions to the dive location. I cannot remember if this is correct, but you had to find some house, and go directly out from shore about 200 yards to get in the vicinity of the wrecks. Several of the accomodations on shore look the same so you have to make sure you have the right landmark. Like I said, I got bad info (for I have infallable navigational abilities! :wink: LOL) Oh, yeah, the viz can vary, but I had at least 50 feet that day and that's good for a shore dive.

Let me know if I can help you out any further...

Dave

P.S. The hotel cost us about $100.00/night and the reason directions to the dive site are so important is that there were no marker bouys identifying the locations of the wrecks (the are two wrecks there, one just broke in half forming a triangle, hence the name).

scubadiver214:
Like I mentioned, the biggest problem was getting accurate directions to the dive location. I cannot remember if this is correct, but you had to find some house, and go directly out from shore about 200 yards to get in the vicinity of the wrecks. Several of the accomodations on shore look the same so you have to make sure you have the right landmark.

ha... pretty much same directions we were given.

See if you can find someone who's dove there before to take you.
Thats what I did. He knew exactly which house to start in
front of and he dropped us directly on the wreck.

Maybe someone can get some GPS coordinates of the location
on shore of where to start from?

-mike

We have someone who dives the site quite often going out with us. I called OBX dive shop and it was crazy what they were charging to take you out there. Luckily one of the guys in our group dives it, and has offered to show us around.

I know the conditions will probably not be the greatest, but I think it will be a fun dive.

Mel

We used to go to Nag Head every summer but stopped going about 8 years ago in favor of carribean destinations. We used to stay at the Sands at milepost 6.5 condominium and see divers coming and going all the time. Upon questioing them, I found they were diving on a wreck just 50-75 yards off shore there. Now this year I will be returning to Nags Head as a diver and have found that what these divers were visiting visiting was the triangle wrecks.

You don't need a GPS to find the triangle wreck. Instead find the Sands Condominiums on Virginia Dare Highway near milepost 6.5. The attached picture is a picture if the Sands Condo. On the south side of the Sands there is a public beach access way (the road by the wooden fence in the picture.) Park there and walk out to the beach. The wreck is almost directly straight out from the public beach access. The wreck is only 50-75 yards offshore, not 200.

Eight years ago they used to put out a white bouy in the summer to mark the triangle wreck. There is usually a mild northgoing along-shore current here. Enter the water south of the bouy, swim out and descend.

There is a lifeguard stand right there by the public access. If the bouy is missing, ask the lifeguard and he will probably be able to tell you how to find the wreck exactly.

My recollection is rusty but I believe that to get out over the wreck in the absence of the bouy, you head out into the water and look back at shore and align a round white (or pink?) smokestack with one of the legs of the watertower behind it and swim out far enough that the top of the smokestack is just below the bottom of the water tank portion of the water tower. But doublecheck those directions... It was a long time ago and I might not remember well and either the watertower or the smokestack or both may be gone by now.

Good Luck.

suthnbelle:
A group of us from NCWD are headed to Nags Head June 24-26 to dive the Triangle Wrecks http://www.obxdive.com/NagsHead.htm. Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay? Also, if anyone is interested in joining us just let me know by posting here.

Mel
cheering.gif

HI Mel,

I have stayed at the Beacon Motor Lodge twice, they are reasonable, and clean, I would definately use them again. If you need the contact info let me know I have it at home.

Linda

I normally stay at The Duke of Dare (252-473-2175) and friends have stayed at Dare Haven (252-473-2322) and say it's comparable. There is also a list on the Go Between's website, but keep in mind that most of the places on the beach are much more expensive

http://www.gobetweencharters.com/accomo.htm

Back
Top Bottom