Need reliable information on Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In my experience, when people ask about dive ops in resort areas, they get a flood of, "I dived with ABC, and it went well." I am looking for something more specifc about Aruba. Let me explain why.

A few years ago I stayed on the east end of Grand Cayman, and I made the mistake of using the dive op that was associated with my resort. I took one afternoon trip with them. I was first surprised to find that Nitrox was not a normal part of their operations. I was next shocked to find that they had a 35 minute limit on dives. A DM got in the water with us, took as around for 35 minutes, and then we climbed back on the boat, with about about half my air still in the tank. I learned that this was standard practice for them and for all of the dive ops owned by their parent company, Red Sail Sports. I immediately made one of the best decisions I have ever made in diving and switched to Ocean Frontiers, a dive op much more suited to experienced divers. Nitrox was readily available, and reasonable bottom time was the norm.

I want to make sure I hook up with the best possible dive op when I am in Aruba in June. I understand that Red Sail sports owns at least one, and maybe more, of the dive ops on Aruba. Does anyone have good information about the differences in the dive ops on that island that would be helpful to me?

If you'll do a search, you'll find all kinds of reports on Aruba and who to or not to use.

I dove in Aruba 2 summers ago with Pelican Watersports. I was very happy with them.

Red Sail is one of the dive op's in Aruba. They have watersports desks at several of the resorts, but they don't have dive boats at every resort. Most people were OK with them though they are commonly referred to as a cattle-boat operation because they cater to the cruise boats.

Unique Watersports operates out of the area between the Radison and the Aruba grand. A friend who dived with them really like them.

Pelican Watersports operates out of the pier next to the Holiday Inn. I was never told of a time limit, but our dives were all about 45 minutes each. Of course they were at 60-70 feet most of the time, so this was about the limit for most people air consumption anyway. I would use them again.

Dive Aruba sees to be the island small operator favorite. It's run by somebody named Clive and everyone seemed 100% happy with him as he let them dive any profile they wanted. I think he has Nitrox also. I think he's the Aruba equivalent of a Six-Pack boat also. Sounds like this might be the operator for you based on your requirements.

I would have no worries recommending Pelican (www.pelican-aruba.com) on Aruba. Have been using them for years with great success. All instructors are very good and quite knowledgable on the surroundings.

Also, their staff photographer - Max is VERY good. Email me if you are interested in seeing the pixs he took on my last trip. He charges $40 for >200 shots and about 7 min of video...quite a bargain IMO.

They do AM south coast dives (I think) 6 days a week. Two tanks with a max depth of about 100 ft depending on the site and the instructor. Other dives are, like other shops closer to the resorts and not as deep.

Let me know,
Chris

chris_finnin@yahoo.com

mike_s:
Dive Aruba sees to be the island small operator favorite. It's run by somebody named Clive and everyone seemed 100% happy with him as he let them dive any profile they wanted. I think he has Nitrox also. I think he's the Aruba equivalent of a Six-Pack boat also. Sounds like this might be the operator for you based on your requirements.

Thanks for this information--very helpful.

I also ran into a place called Mermaid Dive Center that looks promising. Does anyone know about it?

Heard Mermaid was "black-listed" by both Padi and NAUI...can not confirm tho. Even still - I avoid just just based on the negative rumors.

Pelican, Dive Aruba and Unique always seem to get positive reviews...

I dove with Clive of Dive Aruba. The reasons I liked him include the following.

He has a small boat, so there's no cattle situations.
He is extremely flexible to meet your diving needs.
We were able to dive to our air or ndl limits. No pre-set limits.
Very professional and knowledgeable.
When I was there with family a couple years ago, we stayed at the Marriott. He personally came and picked us up at the front door every morning to take us to his boat at the marina.

Those are some of the reasons that diving with him was such a great experience.

Michael

Absolutely Love Pelican Adventures. They're crew is very safe, friendly, and professional.

Dove with Red Sail while I was 0n a cruise in April. BIG Mistake. "Instructors" were nasty and left us on the bottom for 47 minutes, when we were supposed to stay close to them. They left us while the entire group was watching sting rays and continued the dive without us. IMO, Red Sail ruined one of the nicest dives (the Antilla)for many people that had never been to Aruba.

I'll probably be back in Aruba within the next couple of years, and I wouldn't hesitate to dive with Pelican. They're probably one of my favorite dive shops, and I did my first dive ever with them (Guess that makes me like them even more).

Don't miss the south coast dives if you have AOW!
Have fun!
-Christine

boulderjohn:
A few years ago I stayed on the east end of Grand Cayman, and I made the mistake of using the dive op that was associated with my resort. I took one afternoon trip with them. I was first surprised to find that Nitrox was not a normal part of their operations.

Having worked for the dive operation you mentioned, I can assure that Nitrox is a standard part of the offerings. I have taught many nitrox courses there.

Like most dive operators on Grand Cayman, Tortuga Divers (and Red Sail Sports) obtains nitrox fills from a commercial gas supplier in the Georgetown area. This does limit the ability to readily provide custom mixes, but a standard 32% mix is kept in stock.

Did you have a dive computer? A buddy diving nitrox too? Dive profiles are customarily limited by the member of the buddy team with less available no-deco time. If you were buddied with someone diving air, then your buddy team would by expected to abide by an air profile. Likewise if dive planning was via tables.

Were you, or your buddy, diving earlier in the day? Residual nitrogen added to the accumulating nitrogen from the current dive, limits the available dive time, regardless of how much gas remains in your cylinder.

Drew Sailbum:
Having worked for the dive operation you mentioned, I can assure that Nitrox is a standard part of the offerings. I have taught many nitrox courses there.

Like most dive operators on Grand Cayman, Tortuga Divers (and Red Sail Sports) obtains nitrox fills from a commercial gas supplier in the Georgetown area. This does limit the ability to readily provide custom mixes, but a standard 32% mix is kept in stock.

Did you have a dive computer? A buddy diving nitrox too? Dive profiles are customarily limited by the member of the buddy team with less available no-deco time. If you were buddied with someone diving air, then your buddy team would by expected to abide by an air profile. Likewise if dive planning was via tables.

Were you, or your buddy, diving earlier in the day? Residual nitrogen added to the accumulating nitrogen from the current dive, limits the available dive time, regardless of how much gas remains in your cylinder.

When I signed up for my diving, I asked about Nitrox, and the person said that they normally didn't have any interest in it, but they could get it for me. It was clearly an issue for them.

They also told me that 35 minutes was standard for their dives. It did not matter what your computer said.

Thanks for all the other information on how to dive with Nitrox.

John
PADI #190645

My God, this question comes up weekly. Use the search option please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom