Need reliable information on Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
When I signed up for my diving, I asked about Nitrox, and the person said that they normally didn't have any interest in it, but they could get it for me. It was clearly an issue for them.

They also told me that 35 minutes was standard for their dives. It did not matter what your computer said.

"normally didn't have any interest in it" is a far cry from cannot (or will not) get it for you. I think you ran into frank honesty. Normally, there was very little demand for nitrox among our client base. Nitrox was stored in that little building on the dock. No big deal to get a tank or two. Just need to know ahead of time if it's going to be a boatload as stock is limited to our supply on hand otherwise.

I take it you had a computer? Did your buddy? Was your buddy diving nitrox?

These issues are common difficulties for dive operations, all the more so if a diver signs up without a buddy. If a diver ends up buddied with a staff member on an afternoon dive, it is not unusual for that staff member to be doing his/her third dive of the day. Dive staff get bent too.

Finman08:
Heard Mermaid was "black-listed" by both Padi and NAUI...can not confirm tho. Even still - I avoid just just based on the negative rumors.

I checked with PADI. Mermaid Dive Center has not been associated with PADI since 1990. That's all they will say about it.

boulderjohn:
I want to make sure I hook up with the best possible dive op when I am in Aruba in June. I understand that Red Sail sports owns at least one, and maybe more, of the dive ops on Aruba. Does anyone have good information about the differences in the dive ops on that island that would be helpful to me?

I dove with Unique. They were fine, but were what I'd call a "typical resort dive operator". Plre planned dive sites, fixed bottom times and group dives. I've read Pelican is similar to Unique. This not a knock against either op. They cater to the clientele. Aruba is not a dive destination. People don't go there specifically to dive. Computer divers breathing nitrox with 60 minute plus extended bottom times are not typical on Aruba.

If you want that kind of diving, go to Coz, Little Cayman, T&C. I enjoyed my dives on Aruba. Good, but not great diving. 45 minute dives in a group setting was fine given the quality of the diving.

I made a scuba video of my trip there a few years ago. It will give you a good idea of what the diving is like. I've posted this video before, so if you've seen already, I apologize.

Right click and "save target as" to download.

www.ronrosa.com/aruba.wmv

boulderjohn:
I checked with PADI. Mermaid Dive Center has not been associated with PADI since 1990. That's all they will say about it.

Mermaid has been "black listed" by both Padi and and Naui. They are both listed as "not associated" with the agencies on both Naui and Padi websites as is the owner, Carlos (can't remember last name).

There have been several reports of either the owner or people employed there doing improper "touching" of the female guests underwater. Also reports of "big overcharges" on credit cards that people found when they returned home.

Now I didn't experiece any of this myself because I read so many negative reports about them that I wasn't about to dive with them, so I'm not sure of the truth behind it. However, you see that many people on many different message boards telling about their problems, it was enough for me to not dive with them. In their benfiit, I've seen a few posters that were amazed by these posts as they had no trouble with them. (two sides to every story I guess). I made my decision not to dive with them. You can make your own. But why "risk" anything when there are other dive ops that have so many other better things said about them.

KidK9:
My God, this question comes up weekly. Use the search option please.

Well, excuuuuuuse me!

Actually, I did use the search function before I posted, as you might infer from my opening sentences. Perhaps my search skills need refining, but I had trouble finding the kind of information I needed and got from this thread. (I would like to thank those who tolerated me and posted those helpful replies.)

I once posted another question on a totally different topic and got a similar tongue lashing. Once again, I had searched before posting and not found exactly what I was looking for. I really didn't get an answer in that thread, either. (I guess my communication skills are so poor that many of the responders had trouble understanding what I was actually asking.) I finally went somewhere else (DAN) and got pretty good information. DAN told me stuff that was not in any part of that thread or any other thread like it I have ever encountered. (Perhaps I might have added it to the discussion if I hadn't been so chastened.)

When I think about it, just about any question someone might ask on a forum like this has been asked and answered. The original discussions were probably all excellent, so there is no need for new input or new discussion, either. Perhaps someone should suggest to the ScubaBoard staff that they post a message at the beginning of each forum warning people that anything they want to talk about has already been thoroughly discussed, so they should not post anything but make themselves content with reading the archives instead. This would be especially helpful in the "New to Diving" area, where those pesky newbies keep asking those same damn questions over and over again.

This would be a tremendous benefit to the veterans who have heard it all and don't want to be subjected to these tired topics any more.

I've been to Aruba 3 times since August 2000. On the first trip we dove with Mermaid. I cannot comment on the PADI blacklist allegations or inappropriate "touching" of the female divers. I can comment on the boat and conditions. The boat has a high transom (not an open back) that you must climb over when entering and exiting the water. I did it wearing in full gear all week. You can remove the tank/jacket when coming out of the water, but it's pretty inconvenient and they discourage the practice. I was told they would going to Miami in Oct 2000 to purchase an open transom dive boat, but as of Aug 2003, divers were still crawling over the transom on the same boat. The owner is Carlos. He is very charismatic and quite entertaining, and did exhibit a keen interest in the women who boarded without a male companion. Carlos will pick you up at the hotel and drive to the Oranjestad harbor where his boat is docked. Dives tend to be at sites close to the harbor. Some of these are good, but there wasn't a lot of variety.

The only other operation I've tried is Pelican, and quite honestly I don't see how the experience could have been better. On one dive there were only 3 divers (myself, my wife, and my BIL) on the 40 foot boat, and they didn't complain about taking us out. There were no rigid bottom times / depth limits (within reason, of course) and the divemasters are very friendly. I especially liked Jeno. Be sure to dive with him and ask about the time he brought one of the dive boats back from New Orleans. He is full of great stories.

I have not tried Redsail because the cruise ships book with them and boats are always crowded. Just my experience.

xring

boulderjohn:
Well, excuuuuuuse me!

Actually, I did use the search function before I posted, as you might infer from my opening sentences. Perhaps my search skills need refining, but I had trouble finding the kind of information I needed and got from this thread. (I would like to thank those who tolerated me and posted those helpful replies.)

I once posted another question on a totally different topic and got a similar tongue lashing. Once again, I had searched before posting and not found exactly what I was looking for. I really didn't get an answer in that thread, either. (I guess my communication skills are so poor that many of the responders had trouble understanding what I was actually asking.) I finally went somewhere else (DAN) and got pretty good information. DAN told me stuff that was not in any part of that thread or any other thread like it I have ever encountered. (Perhaps I might have added it to the discussion if I hadn't been so chastened.)

When I think about it, just about any question someone might ask on a forum like this has been asked and answered. The original discussions were probably all excellent, so there is no need for new input or new discussion, either. Perhaps someone should suggest to the ScubaBoard staff that they post a message at the beginning of each forum warning people that anything they want to talk about has already been thoroughly discussed, so they should not post anything but make themselves content with reading the archives instead. This would be especially helpful in the "New to Diving" area, where those pesky newbies keep asking those same damn questions over and over again.

This would be a tremendous benefit to the veterans who have heard it all and don't want to be subjected to these tired topics any more.

Dont get so sensitive. But seriously, watch the Caribbean forum and you tell me how often the "Going to Aruba, need operator advice" question comes up.

I did a search on "aruba operators" and eleven threads just on the first page came up. Exactly what are you typing into the search engine????? :06: :06: :06:

I did a search on "aruba operators" and eleven threads just on the first page came up.

Be careful what you ask for. Since most questions have been asked and answered at one time or another there is no need for Scubaboard.com to exist as anything more than faq webpage.

Personally I say, so what if it's another "Going to Aruba" thread? (Should we also trim the fat on the endless supply of BP&W threads, posts, and hijacks that are all over Scubaboard?) Things change over time and people like to talk about their experiences. That's what keeps the board moving.

Besides, if it agravates you so much there's an easy way to avoid it, don't click on it.

Well stated. We should all feel free to ask those questions. Who knows - some updated info might be available since the last thread.

Dragon2115:
Be careful what you ask for. Since most questions have been asked and answered at one time or another there is no need for Scubaboard.com to exist as anything more than faq webpage.

Personally I say, so what if it's another "Going to Aruba" thread? (Should we also trim the fat on the endless supply of BP&W threads, posts, and hijacks that are all over Scubaboard?) Things change over time and people like to talk about their experiences. That's what keeps the board moving.

Besides, if it agravates you so much there's an easy way to avoid it, don't click on it.

That's a good point, I agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom