need some advice setting up doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been searching the forum and have a couple of questions about setting up some doubles.

I have Al80's that right now I plan double. I want to go with DIN type valves, so I'm looking for a set of bands and a manifold. Most of the manifolds I've seen advertised don't actually specify whether they're for din or A fittings.

What's the advantage to 300 bar over 200's.

Can a manifold for use on Al80's be used on steel cylinders? Currently I dive wet, but there's the possibility of diving dry in the next year or two, would the doubled Al80's be workable for that.

Thanks,

J.

Freeflyer:
Hi folks, I've been searching the forum and have a couple of questions about setting up some doubles.

I have Al80's that right now I plan double. I want to go with DIN type valves, so I'm looking for a set of bands and a manifold. Most of the manifolds I've seen advertised don't actually specify whether they're for din or A fittings.

Can a manifold for use on Al80's be used on steel cylinders? Currently I dive wet, but there's the possibility of diving dry in the next year or two, would the doubled Al80's be workable for that.

Thanks,

J.
Most 200 bar maniufolds I have seen can use the din or INT fitting by inserting a plug in the din port. Aluminum 80s are fine for doubles. Just remember they are a little more buoyant than steel but that can be an advantage when diving wet. When you switch to dry diving you may not be so happy with the buoyancy characteristics but that does not mean they are unusable, just have to carry a few extra #s

Freeflyer:

Thanks,

J.

300 bar valves are only supplied with 300 bar DIN outlets. They cannot be converted to yoke valves.

Freeflyer:

Thanks,

J.

I think you'd be hard pressed to purchase a new manifold that was only yoke. With the advent of the convertable, "Pro-Valve" type 200 bar Din, (the ones with the screw in din to yoke inserts) the pure Yoke only manifold is AFASIK, no longer produced.

If all your regs are 300 bar DIN, no real difference in the manifolds. If you have 200 bar Din, or Yoke regs the convertable 200 bar outlets may be what you want. I prefer the DIN connection, and have converted my regs to 300 bar Din.

Double AL80's + a DS may require a V weight for trim, no big deal. Steel or Aluminum, makes no difference as far as the manifold is concerned. The bands are likely going to be different. AL80's are 7.25" diameter, common diameter for steels is 7.00, and 8.00.

The center to center of the manifold and the bands needs to match, you might want to purchase them together. You might also want to see if you can get the "plugs" for the modular valves, you might choose in the future to split up the AL's. These plugs can sometimes be hard to find.

Tobin

AFAIK, tanks in different countries have different neck threads and sometimes even in the same country. For example, Eurpean threads are different than US threads and US Low pressure and High pressure tank neck threads are different again.
Using a valve with a thread that does not match the tank neck thread can result in serious injuries and possibly death.
You may want to find out exactly what thread standard your tanks have before ordering a manifold. :wink:

So why can't 300bar manifolds accept DIN inserts to convert to yoke? I can this as a safety issue using HP tanks, but what about 210 bar fills?

MilitantMedic:
So why can't 300bar manifolds accept DIN inserts to convert to yoke? I can this as a safety issue using HP tanks, but what about 210 bar fills?
The valve is physically too wide to fit a yoke clamp over it.

MilitantMedic:

Early Yoke regs had a lower max inlet pressure, as did some early Din regs. The whole 200 vs 300 din thing was an attempt a preventing "low pressure" regs from being used on "High Pressure" tanks.

200 Din Valves have shallower female thread, 7 threads IIRC, 300 Din have 9 threads.

Low pressure din regs have a shorter male thread, works ok in a 200 Din valve, but won't seal in a deeper 300 din valve, this is by design.

To prevent low pressure yoke Regs from being connected to high pressure 300 Din valves, the inserts that convert din to yoke are designed to only work on 200 din valves. The inserts are only long enough to seal in the shallower 200 din valves, and only the 200 din valves have the "dimple" on the backside of the post to recieve the draw bolt of a yoke.

The inserts will screw into a 300 din, but they will end up well below the front of the valve by the time the inner oring seats, and therre is no dimple for the draw nut on a yoke.

If you need to be able to convert from din to yoke, stay with 200 din valves, the 200 din valves easily accept 300 din regs.

Tobin

Gotcha that makes sense, my manifold is 200 bar and I've yet to see a 300 bar manifold. ...now I just have to find some inserts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom