Need some advice (wetsuit and snorkeling) questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this is a crazy idea of not but I live in ontario canada and i do most of my snorkeling is cold / cool freshwater in the lakes around me.

I would like to extend my season and be able to enjoy my time spent in the water more. I was thinking about buying a 4/3 wet suit to keep me warm while snorkeling but wanted some opinions before spending the money on one.

This would be the suit I would get FLASH BOMB ZIP FREE 4/3

My thought is that its keeps me warm, i don't have to worry about getting sun burnt, don't have to worry as much about rubbing up on abrasive rocks or whatever. just overall more protection.

I am hoping for some feedback. please let me know if you use a wet suit, how you like it, if its worth using etc.

Thank you all very much in advanced for any help.

Hello Phil

That's an expensive wet suit. There are cheaper alternatives to consider, especially since with experience you might decide you want something different.

If you dive underwater while snorkeling you will probably find that you need a weight belt to do it with a wet suit. If your snorkeling is strictly on the surface, you can do without a weight belt.

I would suggest the one-piece Neosport wet suit, available in 3/2 or 5/3, as being a good starter wetsuit, quite inexpensive. The freedive suits from Mako and similar vendors are a good choice also however they require more time, effort, and flexibility to don and doff. I have two freedive suits (though not from Mako) and one Neosport.

Mako is correct. Follow that advice. I have exactly the sort of suit described and love it. In fact, I have a 3mm suit I use for summer here in New Zealand and a 5mm for winter (as well as an additional 3mm vest for my torso on really cold days). I recently updated my sons wetsuit to the same and now I cannot get him out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom