Need some help with my dive computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Connor Dreichler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have an Oceanic Geo 2.0 and I am getting my nitrox and advanced open water certification done in the next few days. I've been diving with my Geo 2.0 on regular air (the 21%) so I never really had to set a blend or anything. Now that I need to set blends and max depth alarms and whatnot, I've been reading my manual and I can't understand a single thing it says. All I really need to know is basically what combination of buttons do I need to press in order to set my air blend %. Also, what other setting should I really be concerned about setting before I dive?

You don't NEED to set anything. You can use it on air and it will simply be more conservative.
There are likely to be people in your class that can help you with that.Or maybe your local dive shop.

You don't NEED to set anything. You can use it on air and it will simply be more conservative.
There are likely to be people in your class that can help you with that.Or maybe your local dive shop.

Ok thanks! And reading through my Enriched Air and AOW Manual, what about setting the max ATA to 1.4 or 1.6 is that necessary? I don't plan on ever really diving more than maybe 80 feet, and I feel like as long as I watch my air and don't come up too quick, I don't really have anything to worry about.

Your nirtox instructor will probably be able to help with the settings

Connor,

You seem somewhat challenged by modern technology. In dive mode, click down using the lower left button to FO2 and set the nitrox mix to your setting. For your PO2 max, it is your choice. The usual PO2 is 1.4, I set mine at 1.6 and get a warning when it is 1.4. The Geo2 settings are not very difficult, learn them and use them

I have an Oceanic "hockey puck" too, though my two buttons are on the front, not the sides.

Mine seems to work the same as what Subadada describes above:

press right button to turn of the computer.
press left button until "F O2" shows
press right button repeatedly until 21 increases to 32, or 36, or whatever your tank analysis says for Oxygen percentage (you'll cover "analyzing your nitrox tank" in the Nitrox class, the rental shop will make you do it anyway, as they are required to)
Then I press the right button to lock in that 32 or 36 number.

Once that's done, "nitrox" should appear on your dial, not "air"

I don't worry about any other computer settings, just FO2. And I want to know my max operating depth, I use 1.6 I do worry about my pressure gauge and my tank valve being fully open, but you know about that already ;-)

Connor,

It is really important that you understand how to use your dive computer. There have been several suggestions about how to set the po2 max and about leaving the computer set to air to be more conservative. Take your class and ask for help from the instructor. If it helps, keep a cheat sheet or the quick set-up in your reg bag, log book or save a dive kit.

You should understand the advantages, disadvantages and risks of what you do.

Enjoy the class.

I share the same opinion and if you need any further help I would advice you to go to your dive shop. If there is something you can't understand it's for the best to get help in person to have quickest and most effective results.

Would your computer lets you change AIR to Nitrox readily?
Nitrox 21 = AIR
Some computer will default back to AIR from Nitrox after period of time!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom