need some ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5:30 am? 6:00 am? That's brutal. At 6am half the Kona operators are at home hitting their snooze alarms, the other half will he hitting theirs in another 30-45 minutes. In truth, I think only 3 of the operators in Kona hit the water before 8 or 9 in the morning... just something to think aobut if you are one who likes to sleep in.

Nahhh, flying in from the west coast meant at 05:00 my internal clock was saying it was already 08:00, so I just kept on that schedule. Plus I only sleep about 3-4 hours per night. But this means I get almost double the vacation as that of my wife since I'm not sleeping away half of it. I also like hitting the reef at dawn to catch a bit of the critter shift-change.
Some of the Maui locals that post here can correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seemed to be the preferred launch time of the ops that catered to divers rather than the diver/snorler set. There were always at least 3-4 dive ops lined up at 05:30 ready to put in.

There were always at least 3-4 dive ops lined up at 05:30 ready to put in.
As I alluded to previously, there is dredging going on currently at the ramp, so schedules are not normal at this time. That said, South Maui has a different wind situation than most other dive areas in the Islands so departures to Molokini are on the early side.

In Hawaii, prevailing winds (trade winds) blow out of the NE ~85% of the year, hitting Maui broadside. Rainforest areas are on the NE side (windward) of the mountainous regions, because the moist surface winds rise and cool, dropping their condensing moisture. The resorts are on the SW side (leeward) of said mountains where the winds are weaker and have much less moisture, so there is very little rain.

Haleakala and the West Maui mountains create a venturi effect through the valley between them. Lots of wind is forced through a narrow gap, increasing wind speed such that Maalaea Harbor is possibly the windiest harbor in the USA. This wind situation is also part of the reason Hookipa to Spreckels on Maui's North Shore is considered possibly the best wind surfing / kite boarding in the world.

As the day warms up, South Maui (Kihei, Wailea, Makena) really warms up, resulting in convective lift (hot air rising). Like an upside-down drain, this drags much of the accelerated valley winds to the South. Especially in the summer, wind speeds often exceed 20 knots by noon, making the return trip from Molokini or Makena quite the boat ride.

This does not really affect the earliest dive boats departing Kihei boat ramp, as most are back before 11-ish. What the early departures really accomodate is getting second trips started before the wind really howls. In the busy seasons there are quite a few second trips, and in the winter when there is less convective lift (cooler air temps) many a great second charter is had. I personally think winter second trips are the bomb, with plenty of light for U/W photography at Molokini and for surface photos of whales on SI.

Another interesting phenomenon in Wailea / Makena; when the forcast is for increasing and gusty trades the wind shadow of Haleakala extends farther to the SW and the momentum of the venturi winds is so strong that the convective lift / dragging of the winds to the south is dimminished so South Maui waters are often calmer in the afternoon than when we have light trades or mild variables.
Heading to the islands 1/09 2/09 or 3/09 which month would be best?
Dude, this is not Galapagos or Cocos, planning a trip to Hawaii 18 months in advance is slightly over the top. What if a dirty bomb goes off in some destination, oil tops $150 / barrel, and global warming has bleached our reefs. That said there is no way to predict when the big swells and rain will happen; three Jan's ago was the worst month of diving ever for pretty much the entire State, while last Jan was perhaps the best month of the year (at least here / for me). :D

As Halemano alludes to, a lot of the time thing is due to the wind. It can get nasty off Maui later in the day, with twenty knots being fairly common, while off Kona, once you are south of the airport (where most of the diving charters are) wind is generally a non-factor as the entire area is shielded from the trades by the mountains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom