Need some photo advice for manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You SURE you haven't done this before!?
Ber :bunny:

Their sparse, spikey hair always make me smile!

Thanks Ber,
Yes, this was my first time taking uw pics. I took about 90 pictures or so, and got maybe 5-10 decent ones. I was trying so many different settings I don't remember which ones were which!

I'm just going to keep practicing and practicing! Its not like its costing me any money for film and developing, so digital is definitly the way to go!!

I agree Dee, the hair makes me smile also! Just about everything about a manatee does. lol. A face only a mother can like.

Those look really nice.

What were the issues with the "bad" photos? I usually get a lot of blurred shots because of the long exposure times required.

Peter Doege

Here is one of the bad ones I got. I picked up a lot of silt and the color,etc just seem blah. The manatee seems to be having a good time though! This pic I believe was taken in the first area we went to, which was a lot more silty and a lot less vis.

I did get some blurry ones as well, and some that I just didnt frame the subject to well and cut off part of the head, etc.

jas77 once bubbled...
I then save it and it says the image already exists, so I replace it. Now when I try to attach it, it still says to big... Am I doing something wrong?
I'd hazard a guess that after you've made your changes, instead of writing over the .jpg, you're saving it to a file format called .psd, or "Photoshop Document". I'll bet if you checked the directory your pics are in you'll find "filename.psd" there. This is the file type that is used by the program when there are layers of pictures which have not been joined.

To join these layers, you need to select "Layer > Flatten image" from the Photoshop toolbar. When you're saving your pic, use "Save As" and make sure your format is in .jpg, .tif, .gif, .eps, or any other typical picture file type.

Another thing, it's probably a good thing you didn't write over the original pics. You might want to think about always keeping an untouched copy of all your pics, so that in the future you have a higher-resolution copy to print or to re-adjust, and not your scaled down copy.

Hope that helps. By the way, nice pics! I dived with a dugong once (cousins of manatees) and found that because they're so white it really messed up the white balance/exposure brain in my digital camera. Really sweet animals though eh?

Thanks,
I'll have to try that out. I haven't used photoshop too much, it all seems soooo confusing!

Anyway, heres another pic I took that day in Crystal river. Some sort of fish, anyone able to ID it for me? Thanks!

John

I've actually got a question for you about the Crystal River thing.

I got 2 FujiFilm Quicksnap waterproof disposable cameras for x-mas (good way to try my hand at UW photography I guess :yeah: ), but their max depth is 17ft.

When you were snapping those manatee pics, what was your max depth? Do you think I'd have problems with my 17ft limit? I figured I wouldn't get as good of pictures if I used scuba anyway.

Any thoughts/comments would be great :D

We were just snorkeling when we went, so the majority of the time I was just floating on top and the camera was just a few feet below the surface.
The reason I didn't scuba is that the bubbles will scare away the manatees, so the best bet is to snorkel.
At crystal river, there is a main area where most of the people seem to go. There is a large roped off area where the manatees can go to eat, etc and snorkelers, scuba, etc are not allowed in this area. There are plenty of manatees in the roped area and out of it as well. The problem there is that it is pretty shallow and when there are a lot of people around it gets really silty and the vis is reallllllyyyyy bad. The best place to go, IMHO, is a place a little further down river called 3 sisters springs or something like that. The water is 100x clearer there and less people around. I saw about 10 manatees or so the day I went. There is an area with 3 large posts coming out of the water and a little canal behind it. You can follow that up a bit and it opens up into a large area. This is the area where I took most of my better pictures and I'm guessing that area would be one of your best bets if you are using a disposable camera.
Good luck and have fun!!!

:amazed:
Hey Jas, great photos. do you remember what part of the river you were in for those photos? We will be there in Febuary and I would love to find that kind of vis(seems we always find the crowd and then the manatees). Here is a website I got from a posting here on Scubaboard. You can post all you want for free and share just by adding a url. http://www.pbase.com/ Can`t wait to see more of those manatees.

Back
Top Bottom