Need some vacation suggestions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, if I lived where you do I'd be heading for the Sea of Cortez along the Baha Peninsula.

Thanks guys. There are some local dive shops that do group trips, I've been contacting them. Bonaire seems cool, especially since that is the Netherlands Antilles and I am originally from The Netherlands.

Man, if I lived where you do I'd be heading for the Sea of Cortez along the Baha Peninsula.

I was very surprised when I learned what kind of sea life is there in the Sea of Cortez, and the diving conditions. It's really not much longer a drive than if we went to California, but the difference in environments is astounding.

The mainland side is closest to us, and looking at online maps, I'm not sure how the roads are down the eastern shore of the Baja Peninsula. To San Felipe, it doesn't look too bad, but south of there, it appears to be pretty minor roads. Mainland side, the roads are pretty decent.

Thanks guys. There are some local dive shops that do group trips, I've been contacting them. Bonaire seems cool, especially since that is the Netherlands Antilles and I am originally from The Netherlands.
From here fly to Houston (IAH) on Friday night and catch the Continental weekly red-eye direct to Bonaire. You land early Sat. morning and most of the diveresorts will hold your bags till check-in or let you check-in early. Do the BMP orientation at 9 and be diving by 10:30 Sat. morning. It's also a good place to find buddies, I was asked twice if I needed a buddy while waiting 10mins. for my buddy on the dock at Capt' Don's. Most of the boats put a DM in the water also until you find a buddy to shoredive with. It's also simple navigation as the reef parallels the shore in most places. And some DM's freelance - some will approach you first. We paid $20 for a private dive one night in 2004.

Hi, we just returned from Bonaire a week ago. We have visited the island 4 times in the past 3 years...yes, we absolutely love it and now nowhere else really compares to the value that you get. We've stayed at Captain Don's, Buddy Dive, and Den Laman. Den Laman hands down offers the best accommodations, however the dive operator that they use is just a tad unfriendly. It may be because the last 2 times we've gone and stayed at Den Laman we didn't purchase any boat dives (they really slow you down as you are then on their schedule) anyways, it is a good operation the dive staff just is a tad "stuck up". Dive operation at Capt. Don's was really good and if you go, look up a DM by the name of Chris...he is absolutely great and tells really good pre-dive stories! We stopped by Capt. Don's and they have just completed a large remodel and the dive shop is really nice.

If you want to learn more about Bonaire, there is a website called BonaireTalk.com and it's full of information, reviews, etc. Extremely helpful.

Bonaire is "Divers Paradise" and can't wait to go again!!! We'll be there again next Spring if not sooner.

Hi, we just returned from Bonaire a week ago. We have visited the island 4 times in the past 3 years...yes, we absolutely love it and now nowhere else really compares to the value that you get. We've stayed at Captain Don's, Buddy Dive, and Den Laman. Den Laman hands down offers the best accommodations, however the dive operator that they use is just a tad unfriendly. It may be because the last 2 times we've gone and stayed at Den Laman we didn't purchase any boat dives (they really slow you down as you are then on their schedule) anyways, it is a good operation the dive staff just is a tad "stuck up". Dive operation at Capt. Don's was really good and if you go, look up a DM by the name of Chris...he is absolutely great and tells really good pre-dive stories! We stopped by Capt. Don's and they have just completed a large remodel and the dive shop is really nice.

If you want to learn more about Bonaire, there is a website called BonaireTalk.com and it's full of information, reviews, etc. Extremely helpful.

Bonaire is "Divers Paradise" and can't wait to go again!!! We'll be there again next Spring if not sooner.

Nahh, that's just Andra.

pieter3d, I have a group headed to Bonaire in July, staying at Den Laman. I'm not selling any trip but if you need a group to hang with, my door is (usually literally) open.

I love Bonaire ... been there four times, can't wait to go back. Not much for night life, but if you're going for the diving, you can't do much better. The diving's easy, interesting, and abundant.

Another place to consider if all you want is to dive, dive, dive, is Roatan. I stayed at CocoView when I was there, and loved it. The diving's very good ... and it's easy to log five or six dives a day if you want to. The resort is situated in a lagoon with two beautiful walls on either side and a small (140-foot) shipwreck in between. Everything's included in the initial price, so once you're at the resort the only additional expense is off-site trips or souvenirs.

Personally, Cozumel didn't impress me that much. The town is overrun with cruise ship tourists. And I found it to be generally more expensive than other places I've been in the Caribbean. Sure, there are some interesting dives ... but the type of diving (all drift dives from boats) kind've limits you. The most interesting thing for me was the day trip we took across to the mainland for some cenote diving. I put Cozumel in the "been there, done that" category ... but with all the folks who rave about the place, I guess that one just boils down to what makes your heart flutter.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, Bob (Grateful Diver),

You didn't list the PNW as a favorite place?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom