Need Specific Mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help. I've got a couple issues so here goes.

I'm getting into snorkeling and picked up a few masks from different manufacturers. Note that I have a "thin" goatee (I buzz it frequently with a short guard). First one by U.S. Divers fit between the top of the goatee and bottom of my nose. But was extremely small and limiting my view. I couldn't see much of anything and then it fogged up causing zero visibility.

Next mask was a Cressi Panorama 3. Much wider and larger view. But it leaked in the mustache area on occasion assuming because of the seal with the goatee and it filled my nose with water. If I tightened it ridiculously to my face, leaking stopped but it dug into the bridge of my nose causing extreme pain because of the positioning of the nose bar (top above the soft silicone).

I've looked at others and it's a toss up really whether it'll crush my nose, leak, or just not fit with the goatee.

So I've started looking at these full face masks thinking the goatee will be a non issue. But most are cheap, garbage looking, and I can't obviously go diving in them (below water at say 10 feet).

I have a trip coming up to the Bahamas where I anticipate the need to dive to about 15 feet to look closely at wildlife. I've seen some of these full face masks with a soft nose to equalize pressure, but I'm skeptical about them.

I'm also wanting something I can use at home for lake and river diving. Not just for the trip.

Any ideas?

I know several folks myself included that will shave just a bit off the top of the mustache to get a better seal.

I know several folks myself included that will shave just a bit off the top of the mustache to get a better seal.

This is what I do as well. I barely shave any off and it makes a world of a difference.

I'd be ok with that, but I'd need a mask with a smaller or shorter skirt right under the nose. That Cressi mask goes about halfway down my upper lip.

Anything that hugs the bottom of the nose better? Something that also doesn't crush the top of my nose?

Check these out. Great masks, guaranteed fit, excellent view. Same quality of masks costing 3 times as much. Finding the right mask is trial and error and may require trying on dozens of masks. Welcome to mask hell....

Dive-Masks-Snorkels

As far as mask fogging, clean it first with toothpaste to remove the manufacturing release agent. Some use a lighter and burn it off as well. There are dozens of anti fog products on the market, I just use spit. If for some reason my mask fogs, I just let a little water in, swish it around and clear it. If you want, you can send me your mask and I'll spit in it for $17.95 plus shipping or I'll sell you a bottle of my spit for 29.95....or there always this....

anti fog buy at LeisurePro

i messed around with a full faced snorkel mask in Roatan. It didn't leak which is rare for me. It was easy to breathe. The snorkel worked like it should and did not let water in. BUT. There are several threads about these masks not clearing the CO out effectively and causing issues. I'm not saying they do....but there are several incidents that deserve a closer look. It might be just the Chinese knock-offs that do this, it may just be older divers with pre existing health conditions, or there may be something to the allegations. Research the issue before you buy and make your own decision. Good luck,
Jay

Last edited:
My favorite mask these days is this one: DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask

It’s comfortable, seals well with my goatee or beard and fits a bunch of people. It’s the same mask that a TON of manufacturers use but without their branding so it’s cheaper. In fact, if you look at the other masks that DGX sells, you’ll probably find a few similar masks :wink:.

I have a Tusa Visualator which is similar to the Cressi Big Eyes.
It leaks around the temples if I look up and to the side.

I also have a cheapo Sherwood soft skirt ($20 at Leisurepro on saile) that I flatten and carry in a pocket as a spare.It doesn't leak at all but the view is more restrictive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom