Need suggestions for diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cookie82909

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,

My husband and I would like to schedule a mini vacation for our one year anniversary at the end of August. We don't have too much money ($600-$700 for diving and hotel), or too much time (probably 3-4 days), but we want to make the most of what we have.

What do you all suggest for good dives in Florida that time of year? We live in Jacksonville and don't want to spend the majority of our trip driving, so we were considering West Palm Beach or maybe Jupiter? The three tank deep and reef dives with the Jupiter Dive Center looked interesting to us, but we don't know much about the marine life. Has anyone done either of these dives? We are both Nitrox certified and definitely would love to see sharks.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Drive down one day. Sleep in hotel. Dive the second day. Sleep. Dive the third day. Sleep. Drive back the forth day.

I personally like Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton, Key Largo, and Islamorada.

To put them in order of the ones I like best would be:

Boynton
Jupiter
West Palm
Key Largo
Islamorada

We also live in Jacksonville (assuming you mean Jacksonville Fl)... The trip to Key Largo is between 5-6 hours if you take the turnpike and have a Sunpass...To "save a day" we will often drive down in the evening when we get off work. If you can leave at 4 you can be in the Keys by 10. Not a bad trip, plus you can wake up and dive first thing the next morning. We will generally take a Friday off work, drive down on Thrusday evening and come home Sunday afternoon. I usually stay at the Ramada and dive with Horizon out of Key Largo.

These are my primary dive areas 95% of the year. Juno Ledges in Jupiter has large animals, saw some hammerheads last few weeks, one has taken up "residence" there I hear. Jupiter Dive Center is good, their boats can be a crowded on the weekends though. There are plenty of dive operators in this area that are excellent.

I love Amy Slate's Amoray Dive in Key Largo. Nice place to stay, boat is right out back. They're excellent.

What do you all suggest for good dives in Florida that time of year? We live in Jacksonville and don't want to spend the majority of our trip driving, so we were considering West Palm Beach or maybe Jupiter? The three tank deep and reef dives with the Jupiter Dive Center looked interesting to us, but we don't know much about the marine life. Has anyone done either of these dives? We are both Nitrox certified and definitely would love to see sharks.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

I believe you are on the right track. Jupiter Dive Center is an outstanding LDS with their two fast charter boats immediately behind their facility. With the 3 tank Friday charter on the deep reef you are guaranteed to see sharks. Ask for Gerry Carrol the owner who can link you to some newer, clean local lodging. Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ-a7KUgREM

Wow so much advice and so quickly! Thank you, guys... good to know a lot of people have the same favorites and it definitely gives us some good starting points to research. You would think a 25 year Floridian native would know a little more about our local spots, but boy do I have a lot to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom