Need tips for Playa del Carmen and vicinity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cavewoman, very cool.
Which one are your favorites?

thx

Cavewoman, very cool.
Which one are your favorites?

thx

That is a very tough question - they're all so different. So you've done Dos Ojos and El Eden (Ponderosa)? And you have some snorkelers with you.. I would probably then recommend Gran Cenote for your group, it is a stunning white cavern, and the snorkeling is really good too, so the whole group can go. Really pretty site, and good for everyone.

But if your other divers haven't done a cenote before, you should probably not start out there. Chac Mool and Dos Ojos are the usual starter dives. So if your friends are first-timers, Chac (since you haven't done it before) is probably a good choice. It has a nice halocline. No good for snorkelers, though.

As far as destinations for just the divers, that REALLY depends on the skill level. One of the "don't miss" dives is Angelita, which just a really surreal one-time experience. You all need to be Advanced minimum, and it's not the place to go if you're not all pretty good divers. You could combine Angelita with either Gran Cenote or Calavera, which is a very cool entrance (jumping in the hole from pretty far up, ladder back out) and is also gorgeous, with a really strong halocline.

My favorites for cavern tend to be really dark, really tight, and really silty and so aren't the place to go until you get a few more under your belt. :)

Wherever you end up, enjoy!

I have the same picture in one of my 'Holiday Albums' - pre CD and digital days. Akumal Bay north end is a certainty. Excellent spot for snokelling, have your friends keep their eyes open for turtles. If they want to make a day of it you can do some diving while the others take in the beach. There are two dive shops right there. It's not the best diving but it makes for a good experience if you have not done it before. I like to try everything at least once. Enjoy your holiday...

Yes, I am definitely going back to Akumal. and Yes, TURTLES.

I took this pictures there 2 years ago.

There is even a picture of the swamp monster that somehow was in Akumal. (me!)

Attachments

• P5290003.jpg
    P5290003.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P5290002.jpg
    P5290002.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02378.JPG
    DSC02378.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back