Need Video Camera advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need to spend some money before Jan 1st and was hoping to buy a video camera, lights and housing. Searching the threads but did not see a simple answer. I plan on using it in dark and cold water. I would prefer something simple. I will just be using it for fun.

I know that's not a lot of information but I was hoping someone would have a solution.

Thanks

If you live in the NYC area, go over to B&H Photo/Video and ask one of the guys there. Just about every serious photographer and videographer uses them for gear purchases and information.

A better question would be to ask this board what type / kind of housing to buy after you already have a good camera that fits in your budget. Budget $1k for the housing and go to B&H and ask for their video cams in the 2K range.

I would go: $1000.00 on a cam/ HiDef
:$1000.00 housing
:$1000.00 on lights

I bought my Equinox ProPak 6 housing last month from B&H and everything was fine. Arrived on time and I liked the price, too.

B&H is great for electronics, I've been using them for years. Not sure about the housing though. I know they have gotten into selling housings, but I've always felt it's better to buy from a dealer you know & trust. Better yet, somebody you can go diving with who can help when you have questions.

I live in NYC and shop at B&H. Great for camera/camcorder gear, but they know nothing about underwater video. You can ask them questions, but don't expect expert advice.

$3k is a nice budget. How about a Sony HC3, Ikelite housing and Ikelite NIMH lights ? Light battery mounts right under the housing. Price should fall right around your budget.

ronrosa:
I live in NYC and shop at B&H. Great for camera/camcorder gear, but they know nothing about underwater video. You can ask them questions, but don't expect expert advice.

$3k is a nice budget. How about a Sony HC3, Ikelite housing and Ikelite NIMH lights ? Light battery mounts right under the housing. Price should fall right around your budget.

Yes, I talked to two Customer Service Reps at Equinox, then ordered the housing from B&H. So, I never talked to anyone at B&H, just placed the order as I knew what I wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom