Needs to build confidence w/dives in calm, warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyI8205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We have been OW certified for a year. Our only two experiences outside of class were in Key Largo. The seas were rough and it was a less than satisfactory experience for my husband. (Scuba was his idea in the first place) Now he's been spooked by it and needs a couple of easy dives. Our time frames allows for a week in January. Are there any recommendations for places and dive operators that time of year? Any other suggestions? -Thanks

I've just moved to South Florida this past January, and I recommend doing either beach dives or diving the springs of north/central Florida that time of year. I did a lot of diving in the early months of this year, and found it very pleasant.

Choppy seas are less of an issue for shore diving than boat diving. (I'm speaking in relative terms - if they're too choppy, you can't see anyting and get a little bit beat up.) Seasickness is rarely if ever, an issue, though.

A great alternative is the Springs. Try the Rainbow River drift dive, snorkel/cavern dive with the manatees at Crysal River, or check out the caverns and spring runs at Ginnie Springs. All of these sites are accessible to beginner divers, and if you post your trip in advance, you just might find a few instant dive buddies to join you, if that's what you'd prefer.

http://www.floridacaves.com/
http://www.underwaterflorida.homestead.com/springs.html

Good luck,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
if they're too choppy, you can't see anyting and get a little bit beat up
I vouch for that...it's called the MAYTAG effect (humorously named this way by the one whom I am quoting :D )

Where in the Midwest are you? Many of the lakes and quarries in the lower midwest are nice and warm right now and have excellent diving.

theskull

theskull:
Where in the Midwest are you? Many of the lakes and quarries in the lower midwest are nice and warm right now and have excellent diving.

theskull

I agree with theskull especially in some of the quarries. The good thing about the quarries is there is no boat or PWC traffic and there is no need to tow a dive flag. Certainly for warmth you can't go wrong with Cerulean Springs in Ky at this time of the year. I have dove there without a wetsuit during the summer. They have air fills and there are places to eat and stay not too far from there if you want to stay for a weekend. Depth is around 35 to 40 feet deep and there is plenty of light so you won't need a light. It is a good place to practice. Cerulean Springs quarry is near Princeton, Ky.

Falling Rock quarry is near Louisville. Depth is similar. Water temps are a little bit cooler but not too cold at this time of the year. No air fills on site but there are dive shops that are not too far away. Plenty of places to eat and stay near by also. Its another good place to practice.

Quarries might be good if you have a weekend available. For ocean diving with calm conditions, the calmest I've seen was in the Panama City Beach area. The water was like a sheet of glass. We dove with Hydrospace. Nice large boat without over crowding.

Habitat Curacao. Easy shore diving, great dive operation, warm water in January and nearly endless vis. The dive operation (Easy DIvers) is great and can provide a DM in the water for your warm up dives.

CathyI8205:
We have been OW certified for a year. Our only two experiences outside of class were in Key Largo. The seas were rough and it was a less than satisfactory experience for my husband. (Scuba was his idea in the first place) Now he's been spooked by it and needs a couple of easy dives. Our time frames allows for a week in January. Are there any recommendations for places and dive operators that time of year? Any other suggestions? -Thanks
Bonaire. Actually, any of the ABC's, but first and foremost, Bonaire. Calm. Warm. Clear. Very light to non-existent currents. Not much in the way of big fish but lots and lots of little ones. An entire island essentially devoted to diving and wind surfing.

Hi Cathy,
If you can travel, you can't beat Bonaire for warm, clear, currentless water and beautiful reefs. You will find unlimited shore diving and reasonably priced boat diving. To find a dive site, just drive along the road and look for the rock painted yellow with the site name on it. Get the book Shore Diving Made Easy by Jessie Armacast in any dive shop which describes over 80 dive sites and rates them novice, intermediate and advanced. Anywhere you step into the water you are immediately on the reef :) My husband and I took this trip after being certified and I am glad we did. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.infobonaire.com/
http://www.bonairetalk.com/

I agree with the Bonaire comments--warm, and far less susceptible to the weather fronts of Florida; much more fun than a quarry--

GrierHPharmD:
A great alternative is the Springs. Try the Rainbow River drift dive, snorkel/cavern dive with the manatees at Crysal River, or check out the caverns and spring runs at Ginnie Springs. All of these sites are accessible to beginner divers, and if you post your trip in advance, you just might find a few instant dive buddies to join you, if that's what you'd prefer.

Good luck,
Grier

Please do not cavern dive if you are not trained for it. The cavern at King's Bay at Cystal River is an overhead and divers have died in there, so stay out unless trained.

The only cavern at Ginnie Springs that is "open water diver safe" is the Ballroom in the main Ginnie spring. The remainder of the caverns there require cavern training.

:soapbox:

Other than that, the springs and easy to dive and would be a good place for nice easy dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom