Nekton Pilot to Cay Sal Bank August 22-29: anyone from here going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just worried that the trip will be cancelled if the weather is too bad. I did buy trip insurance, but I'd rather go on the trip than try to get money out of the insurance company! And I trust the boat to be safe in a storm--I'd just rather not dive is 10' seas, and if the surface is rough the vis will go down.

National Hurricane Center says "DEPRESSION STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE..." and that is the only storm on this side of the USA that they are tracking. Have a great trip!!!!

RoatonMan I hope you are kidding. Get into hurricane force winds, and you are in for a wild ride even in a Panamax cargo ship. I rode out hurricane Fay last year on the Pilot. Capt. Brice and the Nekton company wisely put the boat in Freeport to ride out the storm. Luckily John Dixon (owner) made a good decision, and switched our itinerary that week from the Cay Sal Bank to the NW Bahamas. The SWATH technology the Pilot and Rorqual have is great, it even helps my wife from getting seasick (and she is the most motion sensitive person I ever met!). Never the less, if you think that the SWATH tech. should aleviate anyones concerns about a possible named storm approching, you are thinking incorrectlly. The sea will have its way with a perfectly piloted ship 100 times the deisplacement of the Nekton ships, SWATH or no SWATH.

Doug, I think you know me well enough to remember my familiarity with hurricane force winds. (I do believe that we have met)

I was using a shorthand way of saying that after any live aboard captain has scurried for cover during rough seas during a storm on his way to discharge passengers, I would rather take that ride on a SWATH.

No, I was not talking about riding through any storm on any tinker-toy boat less than the size of Utah.

I'd just rather not dive is 10' seas, and if the surface is rough the vis will go down.

Yes, the surface does get rough in 10' seas. Like Doug, I have been on the Nektons in really rough weather, including a 12' sea. Nowhere I would rather be (if I was on anything that wasn't carrying F18's).

I too would rather dive than try to get money from an insurance company due to a cancelled trip, but if you buy from a reputable company, that should just be an issue of waiting for the wheels to grind. The best way to avoid these worries? Book in the Caribbean for months of March>August.

We just had the time-off this fall and the insurance was $130.

Last edited:
::ahem:: can we please return to the question of who is sailing with me August 22-29? :blinking:

As I said in my response to your PM, my wife and I will be there, but I don't know if any of these others will. Hmmm?:popcorn: Woody

EEEEK yours is one of my as of yet unreplied to PMs, I've gotten backed up...can't wait to meet you and your wife!!!

We just got a call from Nekton as we were literally were driving to the airport--the Medio reef trip has been cancelled due to the threat of TS Ana--they are going to let us reschedule our trip to the next week cruise to Cay Sal Bank. Bummer!

Wow, that totally sucks for you!!! But now I'll get to dive with you...that's my trip!!! It's storming like CRAZY here...I live moments from the cruise port and you really don't want to make an ocean crossing in these seas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom