NELD 2nd Annual Lovells Island Trip, August 15-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As promised, here's the official post outlining the details for this years' NELD Lovells Island Camping & Diving Weekend.

I have reserved Group Site # 1 on Lovells Island for Friday and Saturday nights, August 15 & 16 . Group site #1 is part of the large open field show below, on the southern end of the island, and has a maximum of 30 people.

site1.jpg

I will probably arrive on Saturday morning, and dive 3 tanks on Saturday, but everyone is free to arrive Friday or Saturday, and to make their own diving schedules. A night dive is also possible.

Lovels2.jpg

Easiest (it's a relative term, I'll come back to this later) access by private boat is from the tip of Hull. Across from the High School is a free boat ramp, but it's a sand & stone ramp. We launched the boat here last year with no problems, but had a problem pulling the boat out. Turns out it was a stuck emergency brake. (You'll have to read last year's trip report to find out why it was stuck:shakehead:). There's also free parking at this ramp.

ramp.jpg

Hull1.jpg

An alternative ramp is on A Street in Hull (from the yellow line shown below), and while there seemed to be some parking on the street available last year, things could change.

I'm going to lobby Jeff for trying the sand ramp again this year, as we also have my truck to double up on the outhaul if necessary. I'm happy to help anyone else out if they want to use the ramp.

Lovels1.jpg

Last year we unloaded our boat on the pier, which was not at optimum height for a normal private craft. We used the available 2 wheeled carts to transport our gear to the site. Going back, we decided to load the boat from the beach (#1 on the map below), which was a bit easier. Another option would be to use the back side of the island (#3), but it's a bit of a steep climb over large stones, and with the wind prevailing from the West last year, the back side was full of boats, moored up and partying.

We moored the boat overnight in a calm spot near the pier, and brought it over to the beach for our dives.

There's probably not too much shore diving that's of interest, although you may venture into scallop beds anywhere where there's current. The better option is to dive by boat.

Lovels3.jpg

For those of you who don't have a boat, there's ferry service from Boston, Hull, and Quincy. Here's where to look for the ferry schedule.

Jimmie (Lobstaman) has chartered a boat from BHDC, so if you want to take a ferry out and hop on their boat, you can post here and PM Lobstaman. I'll let him post details on the charter as well as maintain the list of signups.

So far we have the following divers signed up for the trip:

Jack (Yak), Jeff, & Jim
mfalco
Lobstaman
buknbull
BGF

If you're interested in joining us, we will be limited to the first 30 people who post here. The fee for the site for 2 nights is $60. We will divide that by the number of divers that show up to determine the per person cost.

I suggest you pack light. We will plan to share larger items like stoves, burners, propane, kettles, etc. We'll sort this out as the date approaches and we have a final list of committed attendees.

Hope to see you there!

For you history buffs, here's a bit of detail about the island:
Boston Harbor Islands || Island Factsheet

UPDATE: Pete (NetDoc) has offered to send us a ScubaBoard banner to display, and stickers for everyone. THANKS PETE!!!

With regard to shore diving, the wreckage of the French 74 gun ship-of-the-line Magnifique should be partially buried somewhere on the south western side of the island. You probably won't see anything, but then again...

With regard to shore diving, the wreckage of the French 74 gun ship-of-the-line Magnifique should be partially buried somewhere on the south western side of the island. You probably won't see anything, but then again...

Before anyone gets too excited about wreck hunting for the Magnifique, be aware that it is in the channel where all the commuter ferries and other boat traffic pass through.

As Yak said, I've chartered the BHDC boat for a two tank dive on Sat Aug16th. Max numbers of divers is 6 and it's first come first served. I think a lobster charter would be the best bet since we could return to the island and cook them up. The campers did that last year. But, we could finalize plans later. Drop-off and pick-up will be Lovell's, but if you don't plan on camping, you could still leave and return to the marina in East Boston w/ Jim and Pat. Please PM me if interested. There are currently 5 spots open and it's $400 for the boat divided evenly amongst all divers(6 divers = $67 each). Thanks and we'll see you in the water.

Jimmie O/LobstaMan

PS I forgot that Jim said he'll have rental tanks available if anyone is interested.

Before anyone gets too excited about wreck hunting for the Magnifique, be aware that it is in the channel where all the commuter ferries and other boat traffic pass through.

Okay, Mr. Killjoy!:mooner:

LobstaMan

Okay, Mr. Killjoy!:mooner:

LobstaMan

And another thing, anyone caught having fun will immediately be asked to leave...:no

And another thing, anyone caught having fun will immediately be asked to leave...:no

Damn right! 100% fun-free zone on the island.

LobstaMan

I was the third musketeer on the 1st annual voyage....

Great time, other than a few minor difficulties on the beach....

Make sure Yak knows what "P" means before he gets out of the truck on the quicksand ramp.....

All kidding aside....

Should be a great weekend....

Graves ledge lighthouse proved to be a great spot with excellent vis and production.

:crafty:

Graves ledge lighthouse proved to be a great spot with excellent vis and production.

No doubt! That was one of the nicest dives I've done in New England, and this year all those shorts will be a fraction of an inch larger. :D

Back
Top Bottom