Nemrod or Fenzy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Have/do any of you own or have used a Nemrod or Fenzy Vest? Have you had the cylinders hydro statically inspected?

I have both plus a Buddy Commando.
I've never hydrod any of their emergency tanks.
BUT
I only fill them off LP tanks and don't empty them underwater.
AND
I would be very cautious about using a "new" tank as there'll probably be copious amounts of rust inside.

I have both plus a Buddy Commando.
I've never hydrod any of their emergency tanks.
BUT
I only fill them off LP tanks and don't empty them underwater.
AND
I would be very cautious about using a "new" tank as there'll probably be copious amounts of rust inside.

I own a Nemrod that I purchased new, as a spare in 1973. I've only used it a half a dozen times.

I was by the hydro facility and was told that they can't test the bottle, so I'm undecided what to do with it. I scanned it with a bathycorometer (NDT), which indicated no corrosion, but I can only assume that it's safe to fill. So I was wondering what you guys have done in the past.

What is it about the Nemrod tank that prohibits the testing?
The one I have is plastic coated and I know Hydro facilities hate that.
The one I have for the Fenzy is painted......but I haven’t tried getting any of them hydrod.

I'll smack a newly acquired tank around with a hammer or against a brick wall, put in a couple of hundred psi and then be able to blow out a nice cloud of rust.

I had my Fenzy bottle hydro'd with no problem at Sub Aquatics in Columbus OH about 25 years ago. Don't see why it couldn't be done today.

Hi Ron, They didn't stipulate. I assumed that they would just drop the cylinder into the hydro testing chamber and be done with it, but I'm not conversant with the capabilities of various hydro testing devices.

We're from the government and we're here to help you! :D The department of transportation has "books" telling everything there is to know about everything. A testing facility must follow those books. Not every testing facility has every book, there may be hidden away in dusty archives, the proceedures for those tanks, and then the facility would be permitted to test the tanks. No paperwork then no approval stamp. (My guess) having listened to the DOT inspectors looking over every piece of paperwork for a large testing facility.

Hi Ron, They didn't stipulate. I assumed that they would just drop the cylinder into the hydro testing chamber and be done with it, but I'm not conversant with the capabilities of various hydro testing devices.

At that time, they did stamp it but now they can't but they can test it if they have the spud and give you the results.

I have a Nemrod (with no bottle) and several Fenzy with bottles. I started using my Fenzy in the early 70’s.

I don’t use the Fenzy very much anymore, but when I was using it I used to do yearly VIP like any other cylinder. There is no real need to do a hydro if the cylinder has not been in a fire and it is clean inside with no pit.

The DOT doesn’t require hydro test on cylinders of this size (CFR49 will give you the details).

If it makes you feel better you cloud have it hydro tested, but it will be very difficult. Hydro facilities that do the small paint-ball tanks and small life raft cylinders can do it, but this is below there accuracy limits. My LDS does a lot of very small cylinders (both life rafts and paintball).

Hydro test requires the measurement of the cylinder expansion due to the pressure. In small cylinders the expansion is vary small and it tends to be hard to measure. They have different size burettes for different cylinders, but when you are measuring this small expansions many miniscule errors can give you false reading.

I would just look inside and if it looks good, just use it. Just be careful not to allow water inside when you use it.

Good luck

I'm told that a lot of hydro facilities don't have the required metric adapter, is one required?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom