Neo or Trilam Dry Suit for Wreck Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am certain that there is cold, freshwater wreck diving (Great Lakes etc.) in my future and I’ve got a question about the appropriate dry suit.

Right now I’ve got a Bare XCD2 compressed neo suit. Living in Texas, getting to good freshwater wrecks means traveling, and that is my only real issue with this suit. I just got back from Upstate NY and at 12 lbs dry, the suit was not easy to pack and fly with.

I’d considering a switch to the Bare HD trilam suit, which is more appropriate for Texas waters, and travels better. My concern is how well it will work on the wrecks – from what I can tell, there seems to be a preference for the ruggedness and added protection of neoprene over trilam for wreck diving.

So – what say this group? Will the trilam work – or should I just pay the excess baggage charges and keep the compressed neo?

BTW – if the trilam will work, I’ll have a Bare XCD2 size XL, purchased brand new in July with about 15 dives on it for sale.

Like everything, YRMV and we'll never get everyone to agree on the color of the sky. That said, if there is a consensus in my neck of the woods, it's that trilam is preferable to neoprene for dry suits.

Most of my diving is on Great Lakes wrecks and I certainly prefer the trilam. You'll see neoprene dry suits around Chicago/Milwaukee but they are a minority. With good underwear, the trilam suits are as warm as the neoprene and usable in a wider range of temperatures. Neoprene is a little more rugged than the trilam but it's also relatively difficult and time-consuming to repair - trilam can be patched after drying for a few minutes in the sun, while you're still on the boat.

Whatever you decide, if you notice the locals pointing and staring at you, it won't be because of the material used in your dry suit. :D

How about the Diving Concept suit Z Tech? They're no as warm as a neo suit depends on the u/w, but a great all around suit that many people who want streamline suits go with.

Trilam it's bulky, but Z tech is as close fit as a neo suit you can buy. It's also better quality than Bare. Bare imo is cheaply made. I own ATR tech dry and had XCD2, but sold it quickly. I like DC or DUI, especially for caving, DC is the best suit for the $.

It's about a 70% neoprene & 30% trilam with the people I dive with. It's about the insulation factor as well as the ruggedness factor. You will need a lot more underwear with a trilam when the water temps get down to the high to mid 30's F. The more underwear, the more weight on your belt. It can also be bulky to travel with.
I dive a Bare CD4 Pro. I like it because the compressed neoprene is more rugged and is less bouyant than a full neoprene.

I was concerned about the loss of insulation factor - but I'm currently diving an XCD2 which is 1/2 the thicknessof the CD4. I'm not sure I'm giving up all that much insulation in going from a 2mil comressed to the trilam. If I was giving up the 4 mil of the CD4 it may be a different story. If and when I get to the 30F water, I may be sorry. For now I'm lookng at Texas winter waters ~52F and wrecks in the northern lake spring/summer/fall waters above 50F.

I ordered the Bare HD Trilam Tech yesterday - now I get to live with the consequences of my actions.

No matter what you choose it'll be a compromise of features. The crushed neoprene ones are rugged, will stretch and will last for years. They are heavier and dry more slowly than a tri-lam.

Tri-lam suits are light weight, pack well and dry fast. But they can get holes ripped into them easier than a crushed neoprene one. They also don't stretch.

For wreck diving crushed neoprene (or even foam neoprene if you're into it) is the way to go.

I dive the wrecks off of the New Jersey coast. I'm inside and outside of the wrecks (depending on the structure) and dive a codura suit. My partner dives neoprene because he needs the extra warmth w/o the extra undergarments. On the charter boats in NJ, I see both and hear the reasons for both. In the end, I think it just comes down to personal preference. BTW- I've seen both types get holes in them. Wreckn' isn't always pretty. YMMV

I was concerned about the loss of insulation factor - but I'm currently diving an XCD2 which is 1/2 the thicknessof the CD4. I'm not sure I'm giving up all that much insulation in going from a 2mil comressed to the trilam. If I was giving up the 4 mil of the CD4 it may be a different story. If and when I get to the 30F water, I may be sorry. For now I'm lookng at Texas winter waters ~52F and wrecks in the northern lake spring/summer/fall waters above 50F.

I ordered the Bare HD Trilam Tech yesterday - now I get to live with the consequences of my actions.

It will be a pain if you don't like it, so don't forget............ ebay is your freind. :)

Back
Top Bottom