Neoprene integrity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you may also have a wrong understanding of neoprene used in wetsuits. It is closed cell foam, not open cell like a sponge. Water enters at cuffs and neck, and possibly the seams depending on construction, but it does not permeate the neoprene foam. There is a layer of fabric bonded to both sides of most wetsuits, and that is what is holding the water that needs to dry.
So, I doubt that little puddle of water is being released from the neoprene, it is probably just the surface moisture running down and pooling over time.

Great thank you - I guess that answers my question about the neoprene.

I think the amount of water in the suit after 45 minutes in the pool is still a little too much for my liking - but I’m hoping it’s just sweat as suggested....

Next test is in the cold with undergarments!

If there is nothing pourable when you first exit, it does not sound like a leak. Regarding accumulated perspiration - are you a big guy, and do you run a bit hot? That makes it even more likely the answer.

If there is nothing pourable when you first exit, it does not sound like a leak. Regarding accumulated perspiration - are you a big guy, and do you run a bit hot? That makes it even more likely the answer.

5’10” and 70kg (154lbs) so not a big guy....but it’s certainly not pouring when I first get out the pool, just the day later after being hung up overnight. Thanks again.

Wear an undergarment. Direct-to-skin contact will cause you to sweat fairly profusely.

Plug the holes and submerge the suit in water without you in it. Any water has to come from outside then.

Plug the holes and submerge the suit in water without you in it. Any water has to come from outside then.

I think I’ll give this a go too.

I did notice some moisture on the neoprene flap covering the inside of the inflation valve - so perhaps that is an issue too. I was practicing getting the hose on and off in the pool.

Lots of good advice and much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom