Neoprene Related Rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good evening everyone.

I have a question regarding a possible reaction to neoprene. After every day of diving I notice several hours later an incredible rash which breaks out on the upper portion of my feet. I have attempted to wear various types of socks to counter this reaction, all to no avail.

Has anyone else had a similiar issue to neoprene and what have you done to prevent it from occuring?

Best Regards
Don Costanza

Hi decostanza,

It sounds as though it may be that you are allergic to latex (rubber), in which case there is no cure. However i am not your doctor and without seeing you professionally you must take this post as educational only.

Latex allergy is quite common. Some surgeons cannot use latex gloves (and talc is no longer used for the same reason).

Like most such conditions, there are preventive measures and there are treatments.

Prevention by reducing exposure.

Loosen fin straps, and larger fins, perhaps, to reduce localised pressure. (It may indeed be that you are decribing a localised pressure reaction since if this were a genuine allergy it is likely to appear elsewhere, such as on the wrists.)

Waterproof stockinets and barrier creams (Unguentum or aqueous cream?)

Treatment

Normally by topical steroid creams, such as hydrocortisone, beclomethazone or perhaps mometazone.

I Hope you find this useful.

Dr Paul Thomas

Thank you for your time in responding as well as to indicate what might be the cause for the reaction. I will discuss the issue with our family physician.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

Dr Thomas is quite succinct and correct, as usual.

Sometimes, a person may have a sensitivity to one brand of neoprene or to the glue used or to whatever the neoprene was last washed in.

Do you tolerate other neoprene exposure? (such as wet suit but not booties?) If you tolerate some types but not others, you may be sensitive to some of the minor components or glue compounds but not sensitive to others.

The cortisone creams are indeed the best symptom relievers.
hopefully you will find some type of exposure suit you tolerate. Allergies can be quite variable and quite individual.
Good luck,
Dive safe and itchless,

John

(another somewhat cranky family doc, on the other side of the pond.)

I have a dive buddy that developed a similar rash a while back.
Not pre-warming the suit with yellow water and a thorough cleaning of the suit stopped it. He was reacting to the ammonia and associated acid.

FT

FredT once bubbled...
Not pre-warming the suit with yellow water and a thorough cleaning of the suit stopped it. He was reacting to the ammonia and associated acid.
I have fond memories that exquisite sensation of central heating during a dive! Sadly I now dive dry, so such pleasures are very, very counterproductive. :jester:

Would a nice rash gard or skin under the suit help?

art.chick once bubbled...
Would a nice rash gard or skin under the suit help?
Whether it is caused by a chemical reaction or an allergy, clearly a waterproof barrier bewteen the offending object and the skin can work.

This is why I suggested, "Waterproof stockinets and barrier creams (Unguentum or aqueous cream?)".

I am not sure but I think lycra is used by some.

hello all

I was talking to a friend once about pee'ing in wet suits and he said " there are only two types of divers , those that pee in their suits and those that lie about it "

Alban

Thank you all for your comments and insight.

Art.Chick, you are correct in that I do use a "dive skin" type outfit and it works well. Since it doesn't cover the feet I got a pair are nylon/spandex blend dress socks I wear in the boots thinking that a barrier would prevent the post dive rash...to no avail.

Alban... you forgot the third category of diver and those are the ones that Don't pee in their suit and have no need to lie about it. (grin) I guess that is where diving in a quarry is advantageous. There are numerous port-a-potty's around and within short distance.

Dr Paul Thomas and John Reinertson, thank you for your time to respond, I will be looking to purchase some aqueous cream this week.

My solution thus far is to start searching for a drysuit. Not the most economical compared to a tube of cream but should solve the problem, at least until it warms up in Indiana...in five months. Time to go to the exposure thread and see what people have to say about the Mobby and DUI suits

Best Regards
Don Costanza

Back
Top Bottom