Neoprene Related Rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a similar problem develop for the second time. The first time I had been diving over a weekend at our local lake was wearing my Scubapro 0.5 Titianium skins and 3m wetsuit. I rinsed them off to get the sand off, and they did not get completely dry over night I wore them again the next day. By the evening I had a
few red spots on both of my arms nothing much though. I used Cortisone cream and it cleared right up.

I was diving again this weekend both days, using the skins and a 7/5 Henderson Hyperstrech suit, water temp is colder we were doing deep dives, and on Saturday I did rinse off again and laid them out on my deck to dry, but again the skins inside were still damp and felt kind of slick. Well, by late afternoon I had a few red spots on both arms. By last night their was a patch on each arm just below my elbows, on the inside, and just above on the biceps, with a new spot on my shins. No where else, but they itched like crazy. I put on more cortisone and took a benadryl cap before bed. The spots are better this am. But, not completely gone.

I am wondering if since this never occurs when I wear the skins and they are fully cleaned and dried if it is something in them from the lake or it is the skins themselves. I have worn them in saltwater and this has not happened before. I also worn just my 3m without the skins with no problems like this. I don't think it the neoprene, I am wondering more if it is that silverlining inside that is the culprit.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this message board. I'm experiecing a similar problem. I live in St Thomas, USVI and I just got certified to dive.
While taking the diving course, we used neoprene wetsuits. The first time I wore it, I had no problem. The second time, I developed a rash on my arms and chest the next day. Very itchy, looked like poison ivy. But I dismissed it as a heat rash, even though I didn't get very hot that day. The following week, I dove again and the day after, the rash returned but much worse. Very itchy, coverning all of my arms, chest, stomach.
I saw a doctor the next day and he put me on prednisone pills, saying cortisone cream wasn't nearly strong enough. Has anyone out there heard of a reaction so severe? The rash went away after 3 days.

Now I want to keep diving, but I definitely want to avoid that rash! I understand that it will keep getting worse the more I'm exposed to the offending substance.

The plan now is to get a test from an allergist to find out exactly what I'm allergic to, then get a suit that doesn't have that substance.

I should say that I'm prone to allergic skin reactions - I can get them from mangos, poison ivy, heat rashes.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Josh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom