Nervous Newbie at Occidental Grand SOON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoonDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I will be leaving for our week in Cozumel 2 weeks from tomorrow. I'm excited and a little nervous. We are very much newbies, having gotten OW cert in August in an Ohio quarry. We were able to dive one weekend in September (again Ohio quarry), so got four more dives in. Having heard about Cozumel drift dives and the depths, I'm afraid we will be over our heads...Being a very cautious diver, I DO NOT want to exceed the 60ft recommended depth at our level of (in)experience. We have already decided to hire a DM to be with the 2 of us on our boat dives (at least the first couple) and may also do some additional training.

I would love to know if anyone has recent experience with Dive Palancar (resident shop at the Occidental). We'd just as soon use them as that seems to be the most convenient since we are staying there. I know other ops could pick us up, but then there will be scheduling questions that could take longer time wise (maybe). Time is an issue because there are a number of other things we want to do besides dive. (Shocking I know). So...can anybody recommend a helpful DM at Dive Palancar? Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.
Ginny

I've dived with that dive op and had a very good time with them. You'll be fine, just follow your divemaster and stay fairly close. You are going to love drift diving, it's easy and the visibility will be quite an experience if you've only dived in a quarry? Everyone is a little anxious the first time they do something, so don't think you're the Lone Ranger.

Have a great time and do yourself a favor and try out a good restaurant in town at least once or twice in your stay, Kinta, Guidos or the Mission on 30th would be a good choice but there are lots of them.

Dive Palancar is a very good operation. My only complaint is they are very conservative on dive times (safety and keeps the 4 single tank dive schedule on track). As new divers, you can avoid deeper dive by just going on their shallow dives (11 am and 3 pm I believe). But you will miss some beautiful reefs if you just do the shallow dives. Although their deep dives are nominally 80 ft, you could easily stay closer to your 60 ft limit and still make those dive if you choose (9 am and 1 pm). Just let the DM know your plan.

Using the in-house op does keep thing easy. We have stayed at the OG every year since they opened. The facility and meals are very good. We usually use a small op for long morning dives and then do afternoon and night dives with Dive Palancar. As new divers, I expect you will enjoy DP.

We have already decided to hire a DM to be with the 2 of us on our boat dives (at least the first couple) and may also do some additional training.

Greylion was spot on and the fact that you're hiring the DM for the first day or two is excellent. If you were competent in the quarry you will adapt to the Coz diving quickly. I predict the DM will get you situated in short order and you'll be keen to dive the rest of the week. You're going to have a great trip!

Having heard about Cozumel drift dives and the depths, I'm afraid we will be over our heads...Being a very cautious diver, I DO NOT want to exceed the 60ft recommended depth at our level of (in)experience. We have already decided to hire a DM to be with the 2 of us on our boat dives (at least the first couple) and may also do some additional training.

Well, I certainly am in favor of safety and staying in or near your comfort zone, but understand that 60' in Cozumel is very different from 60' in, say, Puget sound, and your certifying agency has no idea where you will be diving.

My wife and I were certified just before a Cozumel trip, by different agencies. Hers said to stay above 60' and mine did not. She made me promise to stay above that limit with her. On our second dive day, on the first dive, I looked at my depth gauge and it said 70'. I frantically looked around for her, ready to apologize profusely as best I could in sign language, but I didn't see her until I looked down. She was 10' below me.

Again, I am not promoting taking unnecessary chances or doing anything you don't feel ready for, but OTOH I wouldn't feel bound by an arbitrary number that is location non-specific.

Loon-------just FYI, the max depth you are talking about is for your CERT dives!!!!!........I see this confusion all the time........grrrr........I think it is great that you have hired a DM to be with you for your first experience in Cozumel, but just so ya know, there are MANY MANY Open Water folks who have a bijillion dives and who haven't gone on to the next level who are very happy to dive below 60'...I wish these agencies would make this clear, but whatever!.......you will find the diving in CZM a piece of cake compared to quarries........have fun!.......

Truly, 80' in Cozumel is way easier than 25' in fresh water. You are wise to hire a private DM if you are nervous, but after a day or 2, you will likely find there is no difference between 80 and 60. Watch your computer, follow your divemaster, no worries. My first ocean dives in Coz were also soon after my certification dives in a murky lake, and as long as you let the divemaster know you are new, I'm sure they will take good care of you, that is what they do. Relax, and enjoy, it's a truly wonderful place to be :)

Loon-------just FYI, the max depth you are talking about is for your CERT dives!!!!!........I see this confusion all the time........grrrr........I think it is great that you have hired a DM to be with you for your first experience in Cozumel, but just so ya know, there are MANY MANY Open Water folks who have a bijillion dives and who haven't gone on to the next level who are very happy to dive below 60'...I wish these agencies would make this clear, but whatever!.......you will find the diving in CZM a piece of cake compared to quarries........have fun!.......

I don't think I'm confused at all. I know that SSI, my certifying agency, RECOMMENDS a 60' limit for my level of training and experience. Like I said, I am cautious and conservative by nature. I have less than 10 total dives (not a bajillion)!! My maximum depth in the quarry dives was 26'. I could still panic at the mere IDEA that I am lower than 60' and a panic-driven ascent from deeper than that is NOT a good idea. I'm hoping to find a DM who will respect my concerns and wishes. I know there is plenty to see at depths not exceeding 60'.

Truly, 80' in Cozumel is way easier than 25' in fresh water. You are wise to hire a private DM if you are nervous, but after a day or 2, you will likely find there is no difference between 80 and 60. Watch your computer, follow your divemaster, no worries. My first ocean dives in Coz were also soon after my certification dives in a murky lake, and as long as you let the divemaster know you are new, I'm sure they will take good care of you, that is what they do. Relax, and enjoy, it's a truly wonderful place to be :)

I have heard that it is easy to get to depth in Cozumel without realizing it. I am a firm believer that I am responsible for my diving and safety and don't want to blindly follow any DM to any place that exceeds my comfort zone. Still don't see why I would WANT to exceed 60' on my first Ocean dives...

I don't expect this to be our last trip to Cozumel...we don't need to do everything this time...

Wise to hire a private DM the first couple or more tanks. :thumb: That really should make it work well. Keep your regs in your mouths until back on the boat for best results. :wink:

I hope you have at least mid level DAN Dive Insurance and never need it but it's good to have. If you don't each have SMBs and Storm Whistles, stop by your LDS and shop.

Oh, you may want to take a lock for storing gear in a locker there. One of the advantages of using the local operator.

LoonDiver

the "hardest" part of diving in Cozumel for newbies in my opinion is that many of the amazing underwater structures start below 60 feet. Therefore, many typical dives start deep and gradually go up.

Staying 20 feet above the rest of the group is not always an option, as the current is stronger in mid water than when you're protected by the reef, so you might loose the rest of the group easily.
Not a problem for experienced divers who can surface on their own with a SMB (sausage), but I wouldn't recommand it for someone new in the sport.

Hiring a private DM is IMO a great idea. Tell the shop upfront about your wants and have the DM take you to shallow sites such as Paradise. It is a gorgeous dive with lots of sea life including sea horses. Punta Tunich is also wonderful once you get used to the current and drift diving (which is a lot of fun).

Which ever dive op you choose, any private DM should respect the limits you set. That's what you pay them for. However, if on a big boat with other groups, you may not have a say about the dive location. I don't know Dive Palancar, but you might want to stick to the "shallow boats" mentionned by Awap.

I wouldn't advise you to try and shoot an SMB from depth at this point in your diving. It is a skill that requires a bit of training and the DM will inflate his anyways. Still, doesn't hurt to carry one to inflate at the surface just in case you get separated. DAN or other dive insurance is a must have.

Last but not least, if you feel any anxiety underwater, remember to stop-BREATHE (with long exhales)-think-BREATHE AGAIN-act.

Have a great time. You'll love diving in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom