never give up on a Sea Shepherd!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
these ppl will never give up nomater what happens to them or their boats :confused:

Sea Shepherd’s New Interceptor Vessel Revealed

The Sea Shepherd officially announced their new replacement for the sunk Ady Gil at a fundraising benefit in the Hollywood Hills this evening — and Ecorazzi’s Megan Blanchard was on the scene interviewing celebrities and supporters. More on the evening later, but for now, here are some first (cell phone) shots of the new ship that will be joining the Bob Barker and the Steve Irwin during Operation No Compromise this coming December.

Anyone else think this thing looks like a Klingon ship from “Star Trek”?

[UPDATE: All signs currently point to this ship being the former "Ocean Adventurer 7" -- a 115ft stabilized monohull twin diesel powered vessel launched in 1998 for the purpose of circumnavigating the world in less than 80 days. She did it in 74 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes; setting a Guinness World Record in the process. Ironically, that record would be shattered 10 years later by none other than the Earthrace; aka, the Ady Gil.]

[UPDATE 2: At the presentation, Sea Shepherd said that while they've secured the vessel, they've yet to fully pay for it. In addition, it does not have a name, but that any interested donors with deep pockets ($1m+) should certainly contact them. For now the ship is simply being called the "Interceptor".]

Paul Watson left a comment below saying, "Just a few details on the new vessel. We have not named the vessel yet because we are looking to sell naming rights. Although not paid for, the vessel has been secured. We just need to pay back the loan. The vessel will depart with the Bob Barker and the Steve Irwin with a completely refitted new engine and two propellers. It is larger than the Ady Gil, not as fast, but fast enough for our purposes, it is stronger, carries more crew, fuel and supplies and will suit our needs perfectly. We now have three ships, an upgraded helicopter, eighty crew, new equipment and I believe we will be more effective this year than last year, and last year was a very effective year. I was very tempted to name the vessel “Godzilla.” but we need a sponsor

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 116
  • ss_interceptor.jpg
    ss_interceptor.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 108
I look forward to another successful year for them. From an armchair quarterback decision, I don't always agree with Watson, but it's his fleet, it keeps growing, people keep volunteering and donating, so that means to me he's doing a great job. I'd love to volunteer one of these years.

Regardless of the nobility of their cause, these people will ultimately earn a Darwin award. The Southern ocean is no place for amateurs to play bumper boats.

This guy is a money sponge, he just sucks it up. If he was really serious about stopping whaling, he'd use that money as bribes to japanese politidians and fisherman. He just wants his grand adventure funded.

$100,000 to the captains and lesser amounts to the crews would do more to cut the slaughter than all his theatrics. They could get real incompetent for the right amount.

This guy is a money sponge, he just sucks it up. If he was really serious about stopping whaling, he'd use that money as bribes to japanese politidians and fisherman. He just wants his grand adventure funded.

$100,000 to the captains and lesser amounts to the crews would do more to cut the slaughter than all his theatrics. They could get real incompetent for the right amount.

Sea Shepherd tried to buy the lives of dolphins from the Taiji fishermonsters but they refused the money because they prefer to have a trade to pass down to their children.
We (Sea Shepherd supporters) would have paid anything, but it didn't work.
We were hoping to just buy some more time, hoping for a breakthrough.
Just 2 days ago they slaughtered 59 dolphins, many of them juveniles and babies.
Today Sea Shepherd members and Ric O'Barry are meeting with the fishermonsters and the Mayor of Taiji. I don't yet know how it went.
As far as my donations, I give it willingly and consider it well spent.

How much were they offering each fisherman in private. I'm sure they didn't want to lose public face to a bunch of americans waving money for the world to see

You don't think they had cameras to show them saving the dolphins if the japanese accepted the deal.

Regardless of the nobility of their cause, these people will ultimately earn a Darwin award. The Southern ocean is no place for amateurs to play bumper boats.
That pretty much sums it up

well, that is until people start losing their lives ... then It'll be jail time and boat confiscations

If they start doing something about illegal activities and by doing so without doing illegal activities of their own ... then I will consider changing my mind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom