Never leave a diver behind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear in mind that in the case that precipitated this thread, people lied to the "head counter" who, believing the liars, counted a head that wasn't there.
Do you know that this is what really happened?

A common problem in roll calls is people trying to answer up for their spouse, friend, or buddy by saying something along the line of "I saw Dan on the bow", etc. A competent roll taker doesn't accept 2nd hand sightings.

"A common problem in roll calls is people trying to answer up for their spouse, friend, or buddy "

That's why I like a personal tag system.

It's a 1:1 correlation. It's hard to beat.

the K

How about a progressive system based on number of divers?

1- Up to a six-pack: roll call
2- Up to 12 divers: roll call AND personal tag system (which I think is a great idea)
3- Up to 24 divers: roll call AND personal tag system AND buddy pair recognition
4- Over 24 divers: nothing... you're nuts to dive that big a group to begin with...

BKP . . .

WELL SPOKEN !!!!

the K-ounter of Buddies

Depending on the group size, how about a group photo before departure and then the same after. This would be a good visual. The Capt. can make extra money selling the memory to those that want it.
Well, that won't work now that I think about it, cuz people can just bail right after the photo. Oh well!

Squid,

Boy, you just ain't right.

Oh, by the way, digital or chromatic???

If that's chromatic, is that a commercial processor or hand developed, processed and printed?

the K-odachrome

Kraken you left out the option that tells you DONT LEAVE IM NOT ON THE BOAT!!!! Great thread Rick and a lot of great ideas. Unfortunatley they all have the same flaw, human by design. This is probably why I dive with the people that I do, great group and we all look after each other.

Ya know, Kev, that is THE one underlying cause . . . huaman infallability.

We're human, we will screw up.

It's just that we need to give a good look at how NOT to do that.

the K-an't Do Anything Right - Just Ask My Wife

What number of divers onboard makes determining their presence especially difficult? I don't know. Maybe 2.

I do know that when the number is up there, (24 in my experience) HEAD COUNT'S DON'T work! Probably as reliable as doing nothing.

No system is infallible yet some type of tag system or sign in/out sheet would be more reliable. Operators should do both when the number of drivers is up there. The key is to use the system.

I've never observed a head count taking place on any boat with any number of divers aboard. I guess I could have just missed it but its been a lot of boats. I've never been on a boat that conducted a roll call. Do you need to do a roll call on a six pack? Probably not. However, if they count heads, you're trusting they don't confuse the number of divers on board that afternoon with the number of divers on their morning boat. Some of the liveaboards I've been on use a sign in/out board or sheet but it doesn't take over a couple of days to notice no ones looking at it.

It's like, dive at your own risk. If we leave you behind rest assured we didn't mean to and we're sorry for the inconvience.

There's got to be a more reliable way and if it takes an insurance hike to make it standard proceedure, then so be it.

Working together, Dive Operators could design a standard proceedure that would be reliable. With a reliable proceedure the chance of a law suit is reduced.

I've never felt at risk of being left when on a six pack. When the count gets up to 10 or so I feel some degree of risk. If I was diving in Florida and the boat actually called roll, they would have me as a loyal customer for life.

P.S. All my diving has been Florida, Alabama and the Carribean, so for other places, I don't know what the typical procedures are.

See, one thing I like about the tag placement is that the dive boat operator can look at the tag without touching or moving and calling a persons name.

It gives an instant visual alarm and instantly generates other methods of verification.

Actually, I'd like to see something like this incorporated in the divining industry just as c-cards have become an industry standard.

Whadda ya think. Think we should start pressing this issue???

This is as good a forum as any to get this kicked off.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom