New 2 Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lytspeed

Reaction score
Hello all! I dived in Florida for 6 years before I moved to NC. Being in Western Carolina for 4 years now, I haven't had an opportunity to start diving again until now. I am going to take a refresher course for starters and get my equipment up to speed.

So here are my questions:

#1 Can anyone give me names of reputable Dive shops in Western Carolina, more specifically, Hickory, Statesville, Mooresville - heck, I'll even drive to Charlotte if I have to.

#2 What are the water temps like up to December?

#3 Any special equipment used for the diving off NC other than standard gear?

Thanks a bunch - this is one sport I really want to get back in to!!!

Hello,I live over in the center of the state and I am new to diving.As I became interested in diving I discovered that there was a treasure of info online.NC-Wrecking.com has a list of all the dive shops and most of the charters in the state.I have been out twice with Discovery diving of Beaufort and had a wonderful time.Some of the web sites have water temps and while this has been a cold year last week the temp at the Sub was 68.Welcome to NC. Gypsy Divers is my LDS in Raleigh and if you get a chance to stop and see them in Raleigh they are GREAT people.
Tom

I live in Virginia, but dive NC quite a bit. The water temps tend to stay warm...70's through November. Wreck diving is great off the coast, and I'll be going on my first lobster dive next month in Wilmington. The only things I can suggest...one you have to be AOW (most of the dive are over 100'), make sure you have a sausage because sometimes the currents are really ripping and if you get caught and one and kicked out a long ways from the boat, it sure would be good to have. That's about it though. Take care!

Thanks for all the replies. As I've said, I haven't been diving or talked scuba in years, so, when I read the comment about needing a sausage :eek:hno: I got a chuckle, could you explain to me what a "sausage" is?? Other than the one you eat for breakfast? :giggle:

Lytspeed once bubbled...
Thanks for all the replies. As I've said, I haven't been diving or talked scuba in years, so, when I read the comment about needing a sausage :eek:hno: I got a chuckle, could you explain to me what a "sausage" is?? Other than the one you eat for breakfast? :giggle:

dive sausage?? hmm ok, not gonna touch what first popped into mind. lol, oh wait, i do touch it, lol.

yeah, always bring a sausage on a dive, or salami. if ya get blown off the wreck, and surface away from the boat, you have to wait for all the other divers to come up before the boat can come get you. so you might be floating for awhile. so always bring snacks along, you can eat while you wait. lol

or you can eat during the dive. or be like one of my buddies who chews a big wad of grape bubblegum on every dive.

ok, anyways. the safety sausage is a dayglow orange, red, or yellow inflatable marker. when you inflate it on the surface it sticks out of the water about 4-6 feet so the boat captain can see where you are and come get you after everyone else is back onboard. it deflates and rolls up to fit nicely in a pocket. inflated it looks kinda like a toy lightsaber hehehhehe

Brad

I use Open Water Adventures in Charlotte, it's right south of the Speedway on highway 29. Their phone number is (704) 547-5991. They are a bunch of great people and really care about their customers. GIve them a call or visit their website. There is a quarry called Blue Stone in Thomasville that quite a few people dive at.

Hey there,

VaScubaGirl has it right about the coastal diving in NC as far as temps and certification. However, a lot of NC divers, particularly inland, dive mostly quaries. The temps are 70s to about 25 - 30 feet then the thermal cline drops quite a bit. Many are cold at 60 feet, temps in the 60s, 50s, and even 40s, and below 60 feet of course it gets colder. I have a few names of dive shops in NC but the only one I really know much about is Sharky's in Charlotte. He's a good guy. Fun group to dive with. You will need to get at least AOW to hook up with many that dive with his shop though. Good luck and welcome. R

I am from Gastonia and dive with Sharky dive center, There are a few of diving Bluestone this weekend . It is a nice place to dive if cool waters are not a problem. A lot of people dive dry suites, but I seem to do fine in a 6 mm wet. Raven is right though after about 70 feet temps are about 50 to 55 and very dark it is like some one turned off the light.. Good diving but not for the faint at heart.

Back
Top Bottom