New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dammit! Got home after a three week work trip, went to Meikon site to pull the trigger on the new housing and whoops - the white ones are sold out. Black is still available, but the white one is so pretty... kinda torn between waiting for new white stock, which may or may not become available in the 25 days (minus 3-4 days for shipping) before I fly out, and getting a black one right now, before it sells out too and I miss the boat altogether.

OUCH! Yeah... the white one IS the nicer looking of the two. Somehow it looks less plastic than the black one.

In the end though... it's the same housing and you spend your time looking at the back anyway :wink:

@Barmaglot I don't think they're actually sold out... ALL the a6xxx Salted line is marked as such. Turns out there is a couple of minor issue with the housing's back. I think they will indeed be shipping in two weeks once they get the new backs manufactured. Here is the letter I just received.

Dear customer,

We are contacting you regarding the recent purchase of A6xxx Salted Line waterproof housing.
It has come to our attention that few units from one of the shipments which was send out to customers had issues. Unfortunately we can’t determine which specific shipment and customer it was send to.

Issues:
1. Slight leak from 5 till 10 meters
2. Zoom gear ring
3. Dry dome port misalignment (only if you use dry dome port)

The issue that was discovered is not critical and we already have a solution that we will be carried out. During the dive at the depth of 5-10 meters button control cluster on the back panel let’s a tiny bit of water inside through the buttons. The rate at which the buttons let water in is very insignificant. Over a course of 1 hour underwater at depths starting from 5 meters until 10 meters, water amount that accumulated from this leak was equal to a tea spoon.
Before 5 meters – no issues detected / no leak.
After 10 meters – no issues detected / no leak.

At depths below 10 meters this issue is none existent.
Important – this tiny leak can be the reason for housing to start fogging up.

The zoom ring that slips from the gear. Earlier we have released a quick fix for this issue, but that is temporary. We already making a new Zoom rings for both lenses (16-50mm & 10-18mm), which will resolve the slip of the gears.

If you’re using a Dry Dome Port with the housing, sometimes the camera can be placed slightly incorrect which will cause misalignment with center of the dome port resulting in picture distortion.
This will be corrected by new housing door that will align your camera every time and always centered.

Since we can’t determine which unit you have, we will send you the following:
1. New back housing door with all issues fixed
2. Zoom rings for 16-50mm & 10-18mm lenses updated

We will be able to ship it in 2 weeks from today, because that is when Back housing door will be ready.
If you have dives during this period of time, you can still do it, but please pay attention at depth from 5 meters till 10 meters and also don’t ignore the moisture sensor if it goes off.

Please note.

Don’t send the current housing door that you have back to us, it will remain in your possession.

We apologize for yet another inconvenience and hope for your understanding with our new product.

We will contact you prior of sending the parts to confirm the address.

Last edited:
Oddly, this SKU is marked as still available - but it's black, and it includes the pistol grip which I don't need, and am not particularly inclined to spend an extra $100 on.

I bet they just missed it... doubt they would ship it. Even if they did you'd be in the same boat I'm in... hoping to get a properly sealing back before you dive with it .

As a side I wish they would make a tray grip with the button from the surf grip.

As a side I wish they would make a tray grip with the button from the surf grip.

It's coming, see comments here and here.

Edit: Although I think it will be a straight mechanical linkage to the shutter paddle - the pistol grip has a cable that penetrates the housing from below and plugs into the camera's USB port as a remote trigger; it is limited to 20 meters of depth.

It's coming, see comments here and here.

Edit: Although I think it will be a straight mechanical linkage to the shutter paddle - the pistol grip has a cable that penetrates the housing from below and plugs into the camera's USB port as a remote trigger; it is limited to 20 meters of depth.

Thanks... I had missed the mention of the grip trigger and the depth limitation of the cable penetration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom